Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
PhantomKirin
Virus111
Nightgazer13
Rockman Striker
DJ-P0N3
Edich
smalltrouble
Quickdraw
MaestroMaharg
HBV-05-E Raiden
General Specific
15 posters

Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

Post by DJ-P0N3 Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Well there was a twist with this reaverbot that I thought made it interesting, but I won't reveal that until it's counterpart reaverbot is finished. I can also make him look less like a hippo and more like a creep, deranged thing with an enormous mouth (which is the important part)
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

Post by General Specific Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:10 pm

That would be zany, man—finish it up when you can!
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:54 am

here's some more crap I doodled

reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 2mrzgd1
    Nightgazer13
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Nightgazer13 Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:00 pm

It always impresses me when a good artist can whip out something like that and just call it "crap he doodled". Those are some really nice concepts. I especially like the Jellyfish looking one.
    Rockman Striker
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Well I can say those are really good "doodles" at least the background is completely white.

I made these right on my notebook!
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Reaversketch2_mml3-1
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Reaversketch_mml3-1
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:20 pm

The Reaverbots are looking good, Joe.

I'm certain that you've taken inspiration from the Habarool from MoTB and made it more like the cactus critters from Mario games. So, of course, one attack the newly-elongated-and-stilted Habarool can do is simply flatten itself against the ground, at the same time producing a minor shockwave around the head area and scything at the player with that L2-stlye horn. When working in a pair or a group of three, they could surround you as a triforce and try this attack out.

That spinning top bot looks great too, and could work in a small group as I mentioned just previously. And the rest—well, nothing too special about them. I think you're improving a lot, man!
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

General Specific wrote:The Reaverbots are looking good, Joe.

I'm certain that you've taken inspiration from the Habarool from MoTB and made it more like the cactus critters from Mario games. So, of course, one attack the newly-elongated-and-stilted Habarool can do is simply flatten itself against the ground, at the same time producing a minor shockwave around the head area and scything at the player with that L2-stlye horn. When working in a pair or a group of three, they could surround you as a triforce and try this attack out.

That spinning top bot looks great too, and could work in a small group as I mentioned just previously. And the rest—well, nothing too special about them. I think you're improving a lot, man!

I agree with mostly everything you said, but that cannon appendage at the top is actually the tail not the head. The design is vaguely based off of a scorpion. It's kind of suppose to look the way you perceived it though. I think the jellyfish one has the potential to be something interesting, but I agree that the top two are the best ones.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Come on, ladies and gentlemen—if we want to have a well-designed game, it's best to get the imaginative juices flowing freely now!
    Virus111
    Virus111
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 19

Post by Virus111 Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm not at all an artistic person, more of a concept dude. XD But I agree with Edich when he said that we should focus on Bosses and Mini-bosses first. I also think that we should have the ruin concepts there first, so we know what kind of reaverbots to have in each one. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be drawing reaverbots yet, because I LOVE the designs we have so far. I also think that ruin design will give the designers a more focus direction to be heading. On the other side, the reaverbots people design could influence entire ruins. XD Anyway! I think what we have so far is pretty good! So, I suppose I could pitch a reaverbot here to not make this a useless post. XD

What if we had a reaverbot that somewhat resembled the Slenderman? I don't really know much about the Slenderman, aside from what it supposedly looks like. However, I think it would be interesting if we had a reaverbot that would VERY RARELY appear in the ruins, grab Mega Man, and return him to the start of the dungeon? It could be very frustrating, so it would have to be a really rare reaverbot, and it would have to be avoidable. No one would want to have to be sent back to the beginning of the dungeon because they turned out unlucky. If it was completely avoidable though, there would be no motivation to fight it. Maybe it could be an optional mini-boss that would drop a weapon part if defeated? Maybe the reaverbot moving Mega Man back to the start would be an attack that it would use when it gets weak enough, and it would have different attacks that it would use on Mega Man during the other part of the fight?

Iunno. Just throwing out ideas. XD
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Virus111 wrote:I'm not at all an artistic person, more of a concept dude. XD But I agree with Edich when he said that we should focus on Bosses and Mini-bosses first. I also think that we should have the ruin concepts there first, so we know what kind of reaverbots to have in each one. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be drawing reaverbots yet, because I LOVE the designs we have so far. I also think that ruin design will give the designers a more focus direction to be heading. On the other side, the reaverbots people design could influence entire ruins. XD Anyway! I think what we have so far is pretty good! So, I suppose I could pitch a reaverbot here to not make this a useless post. XD

I'd rather get ruin concepts down first, then making context-specific Reaverbot designs based on said concepts. Generally, though, we need mission context and ruin context to get started on Reaverbots and non-Reaverbot enemies—that should be the first goal outside of actually nailing the physics and playability for the player character.
    Virus111
    Virus111
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by Virus111 Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:18 pm

General Specific wrote:
    Virus111 wrote:I'm not at all an artistic person, more of a concept dude. XD But I agree with Edich when he said that we should focus on Bosses and Mini-bosses first. I also think that we should have the ruin concepts there first, so we know what kind of reaverbots to have in each one. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be drawing reaverbots yet, because I LOVE the designs we have so far. I also think that ruin design will give the designers a more focus direction to be heading. On the other side, the reaverbots people design could influence entire ruins. XD Anyway! I think what we have so far is pretty good! So, I suppose I could pitch a reaverbot here to not make this a useless post. XD

I'd rather get ruin concepts down first, then making context-specific Reaverbot designs based on said concepts. Generally, though, we need mission context and ruin context to get started on Reaverbots and non-Reaverbot enemies—that should be the first goal outside of actually nailing the physics and playability for the player character.

Right, I agree entirely. I just wanted to throw out an idea, be of some sort of use to the discussion. XD I wasn't trying to make a ruin based off of a single reaverbot, I just wanted to contribute something to the creation process. XP
    PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 44

Post by PhantomKirin Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:45 am

Virus111 wrote:What if we had a reaverbot that somewhat resembled the Slenderman? I don't really know much about the Slenderman, aside from what it supposedly looks like. However, I think it would be interesting if we had a reaverbot that would VERY RARELY appear in the ruins, grab Mega Man, and return him to the start of the dungeon? It could be very frustrating, so it would have to be a really rare reaverbot, and it would have to be avoidable. No one would want to have to be sent back to the beginning of the dungeon because they turned out unlucky. If it was completely avoidable though, there would be no motivation to fight it. Maybe it could be an optional mini-boss that would drop a weapon part if defeated? Maybe the reaverbot moving Mega Man back to the start would be an attack that it would use when it gets weak enough, and it would have different attacks that it would use on Mega Man during the other part of the fight?

Iunno. Just throwing out ideas. XD

Personally, I'm glad that I'm not the first person to consider the idea of a Reaverbot equivalent of a Wall Master(a iconic Legend of Zelda enemy, for those who don't know), and I would think that it would actually make for a better "surprise attack" sort of enemy than a super rare enemy encounter, really. Such a Reaverbot could also serve as a guard that will try to protect certain items(namely, items that could be used to solve a puzzle, like a key) by pursuing the one who took the item and knocking them down, if possible, and then retrieve the item and put it back to where it was before. Of course, said guards can be destroyed, but for the sake of being fair, more would keep appearing in due time, until the player manages to get the item where it needs to go. Sounds interesting, yes?
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 am

As long as the arrival is telegraphed to some extent, that the player might know what's coming, this trap Reaverbot is a good idea, and can be used in all ruins that have puzzles and complex exploration, where they'd be guarding the big shiny from the player. Traps, for me, are a sticky issue because you have to design them in a way that really gets to the player, without just raping the player immediately and leaving the player frustrated—matters of luck, I do not care for in games!
    Virus111
    Virus111
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by Virus111 Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 am

General Specific wrote:As long as the arrival is telegraphed to some extent, that the player might know what's coming, this trap Reaverbot is a good idea, and can be used in all ruins that have puzzles and complex exploration, where they'd be guarding the big shiny from the player. Traps, for me, are a sticky issue because you have to design them in a way that really gets to the player, without just raping the player immediately and leaving the player frustrated—matters of luck, I do not care for in games!

This. I like the idea of a trap, but I think it should be a puzzle to avoid, and if it DOES send you back somewhere, it should be the intro to the room. Going all the way to the back of the dungeon because of a puzzle is obnoxious. Hence why I wanted the reaverbot I designed to be VERY rare, and somewhat easily avoidable. At the same time, I would want to encourage players to at least attempt the challenge a few times, without it being pointless or frustrating/annoying. However, like General Specific said, there shouldn't be a dungeon based off of one reaverbot. On the turn-flip-side, there were several reaverbots in the previous Megaman legends games that didn't fit much of a theme. =P Just a thought.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Those Reaverbots were generally multi-context, such as cannon-fodder like the Zakobons—we'll be doing some of those for this game, as well.
    Virus111
    Virus111
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by Virus111 Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 am

General Specific wrote:Those Reaverbots were generally multi-context, such as cannon-fodder like the Zakobons—we'll be doing some of those for this game, as well.

Very true. XP
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Post by MaestroMaharg Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Thought I'd share my Reaverbot concepts here aswell as only the Developers area; so that everyone can see and critique them:
    Ringu
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Ringu_10
    Ringu is an unique Reaverbot, in that it cannot be locked-on to. The Ringu constantly appears to hop from foot to foot, as if it were dancing around the players' shots. If the player attempts to lock onto Ringu, it will lock onto its' non-existent mid-section, and shots will sail straight through him. In order to hit the Ringu, the player will have to manual aim and shoot at it, not using the lock-on feature. When the ringu is shot, it can "cart-wheel" out of the way, in an attempt to dodge the shots. The Ringu can utilize its' ring-like shape and spin along the ground, dashing towards the player.

Another variation of th Ringu, that should more than likely appear later in the game, can launch a sort of "sonic-boom" from it's centre ring;
    Anteropii
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Antero14
    The Anteropii is a four-legged Reaverbot resembling an Antelope or Deer. The Anteropii will charge towards the player, using it's "Antler" which is basically a blade on its' head. It is very fast on its' feet, which makes it fairly nible, and can be destroyed with few shots.
    Another variation of the Anteropii more resembles a ram, that is capable of launching the player into the air when he/she is hit.

I also drew a concept for Ben-Hur Pilotti, called Nekuro
    (Please remember that I only drwe the art for this one, the idea for Nekuro is by Ben alone)
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Reave115
    Hope you like the concepts, and I'd love some feedback!
    Also, I'm taking requests to have Reaverbots drawn... If anyone is interested.. Embarassed
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Wow Ringu sounds like a seriously annoying Reaverbot but that's all the more awesome. The targeting thing really is unique. The design is pretty good as well. I imagine it spinning itself and once you lock it stops looking at you or something. I also really like the Anteropii it seems as if it'd make a good mini boss foe at some time. Much like the wolf Reaverbot's from legends and legends 2.

Overall nice design work there.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:07 am

jadzxa wrote:Wow Ringu sounds like a seriously annoying Reaverbot but that's all the more awesome. The targeting thing really is unique. The design is pretty good as well. I imagine it spinning itself and once you lock it stops looking at you or something. I also really like the Anteropii it seems as if it'd make a good mini boss foe at some time. Much like the wolf Reaverbot's from legends and legends 2.

Overall nice design work there.

Thanks! I really appreciate it! Excited
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 pm

The Antelope, while nice and really captures the basic design elements of later Reaverbots, doesn't seem like something I'd see typically. I think we should try to do less natural and animal-based designs. We could still do some animals, but we'd really have to spice them up; like the Mammoos were similar, yet very different from mammoths/elephants.

Even then, we should still limit ourselves, since I think Elder System designs were more like Legends 1's designs, although we can still do the other types.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:02 am

HBV-05-E Raiden wrote:The Antelope, while nice and really captures the basic design elements of later Reaverbots, doesn't seem like something I'd see typically. I think we should try to do less natural and animal-based designs. We could still do some animals, but we'd really have to spice them up; like the Mammoos were similar, yet very different from mammoths/elephants.

Even then, we should still limit ourselves, since I think Elder System designs were more like Legends 1's designs, although we can still do the other types.

I get where you're coming from, over at the designers area of the forum, most people didn't exactly want animal-based Reaverbots, so that's why I came up with Ringu.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your opinion of Ringu?
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 am

Another Reaverbot I designed called Kyosuttii:

Reaverbots have always been creepy, the noises they make, the appearance they have, etc. But what if we could take Reaverbots from creepy, to scary!!
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Kyosut12
    Megaman Legends has always been about looking in every last pathway, hall, room, nook and cranny, untill you find where you need to go, or what you need to find, but what if we could flip this on it's head, and create a "where shouldn't I look?!" element. It couold provide some interested gameplay contrast. How do we do this exactly?

The player will know a Kyosutti is in the room because its' trademark sound (to be decided, possibly a mechanical moaning or sobbing-like sound) can be heard... (There's the first scare!)
    If the player finds the Kyosutti, it will be seen in a corner of the room, facing the wall, completely motionless. (Think Blair Witch Project).
    Here's the interesting part; If the player looks at the Kyosutti dead--on, it will suddenly turn around and stare at the player, still motionless. While aiming at the Kyosutti, the buster-gun wouldn't work, creating the feeling of complete helplessness. The second the player looks away, the Kyosutti will run after the player.The only way to stop the Kyosutti from running after them, is to look it straight in the eyes, in which is stops dead in its' tracks. Once again, the player can't shoot it!

Just think of the possibilities with this, consider this scenario in particular:
    Since the player will constantly have to look behind them, to see were the door to the next room is, they will have to turn around, forcing them to let the Kyosutti gain an advance on them, so the player will have to be very fast with their motions of looking back and forth, to make sure the Kyosutti doesn't get them!

EDIT: I know GeneralSpecific wanted me to slow down with the reaverbot designs, but I just couldn't help it with this one, I just had to share it with everyone! Sorry GenSpec,
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:27 am

I like the concept, as it forces players to learn how to use a quick-turn maneuver—it's effectively a Legends equivalent to Boo. Contrary to what I've said, this is good stuff you've been pumping out. You're still the most active designer on the team, after all.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 pm

General Specific wrote:I like the concept, as it forces players to learn how to use a quick-turn maneuver—it's effectively a Legends equivalent to Boo. Contrary to what I've said, this is good stuff you've been pumping out. You're still the most active designer on the team, after all.

Thanks General, that means alot. Also, I sort of consider this Reaverbot to be my masterpiece. The concept that is. As far as the design goes, I'm still pacing about thinking of a better design...
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:04 am

The Supiin is a smaller Reaverbot thats' unique trait is it's ability to spin around the floor, bouncing off walls, attempting to hit the player. The Supiin is volnurable when not spinning, and its' head and legs are exposed, and is not volnurable when it is spinning with its' arms and legs held in. IF two Supiin collide while spinning, one will flip up and land on top of the other. When two are stacked, it (they) will spin faster and do more damage; up to three Supiins' can be stacked. It's not to say having either three stacked, or three seperate ones is better, but if there are a few Supiins' stacked, a shot of an explosive weapon will seperate them.
    reaverbot - Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion - Page 2 Supiin10
    I'm going to leave the design here in the Open Discussion, mainly because I'd rather see if people like it before clogging up the Developers Discussion with ANOTHER of my Reaverbot designs. Also; to make sure General Specific han handle another Reaverbot design...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am