Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
OniLink++
Goldbott
General Specific
DJ-P0N3
MaxRock
Adrian2040
Maddey_Linqs
MaestroMaharg
12 posters

Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice

rekka_zan
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice - Page 2 Empty Re: Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice

Post by rekka_zan Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 am

I also recommend Unity. It's free and relatively easy to use, and it has support for lots of 2D and 3D formats. Because it's quite easy to use, it will allow us to focus more on the storyline or artistic aspects of the game, which are crucial if we want to make this game as "definitive" as possible.

Another option aside Unity is Microsoft XNA. It's also free (we can use Microsoft C# Express), and has access to DirectX resource and library, which is great.
    Truner
    Truner
    Official Conceptual Developer
    Official Conceptual Developer

Male Posts : 23

Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice - Page 2 Empty Re: Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice

Post by Truner Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am

I also vote for Unity... it's a miracle.
    Would it be possible to make the game look like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? The character model in that game looked perfect. Would be nice to have something like a mix of TvC and MML3PV.
    Goldbott
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Truner wrote:I also vote for Unity... it's a miracle.
    Would it be possible to make the game look like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? The character model in that game looked perfect. Would be nice to have something like a mix of TvC and MML3PV.

That would depend on two things, the talent of the 3d artists working with us, and the shaders we use in the game (note: a Shader is the name of a compiled set of code, in Unity's case Cg [C for computer graphics], that determines how objects should be rendered)
    Quickdraw
    Official Multitasking Developer
    Official Multitasking Developer

Post by Quickdraw Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:55 pm

Another platform we could try using is Java itself.
    Online games have used java as a base platform, and still manage to get that crisp 3d to them.
    Look up "spiral knights".
    As far as I know, it uses Java as part of the application.
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Quickdraw wrote:Another platform we could try using is Java itself.
    Online games have used java as a base platform, and still manage to get that crisp 3d to them.
    Look up "spiral knights".
    As far as I know, it uses Java as part of the application.

As far as I know Java is a bit easier to learn and a little more user friendly, but C#/C++ is a bit more powerful. Considering we're not trying to make a next gen game here it might just come down to preference or whichever language seems to best suit our needs. I think we're going to want to utilize unity 3D as it would save us a ton of time.
    Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 84

Post by Ben-Hur Pilotti Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 pm

We should do a simple gameplay, IMO, with basic jumps, and a lock on system to shot. I guess we should sticky with 2D and sprites, since it would easier to create, and we could focus more on the areas, new abilities as dashing, or things like that and won't need to worry so much about polygon counts, or slow downs...

I am no coder, tough, but I think in 2D more people can contribute.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm

2D might be easier, but our goal (At least mine) is to make a MegaMan Legends 3 of retail quality. To create what people wanted from Capcom. This game has to be more advanced than the 2nd one. We are aiming to make it like the Prototype videos showed.
    OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:33 pm

The one problem I have with Unity3D is that it's not yet available for Linux. I wonder if it's compatible with WINE.
    Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 84

Post by Ben-Hur Pilotti Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm

So, it is up to your decision Adrian!!! ^^
    I am sure that no matter what, this game will shine >Very Happy

I am putting all my faith in you guys!!! ^^
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 pm

OniLink++ wrote:The one problem I have with Unity3D is that it's not yet available for Linux. I wonder if it's compatible with WINE.

Remember to try Crossover and Crossover Game as an alternative to Wine. (It basically attempts to do the same as Wine, but is coded in a completely different way.)
    rekka_zan
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Ben-Hur Pilotti wrote:We should do a simple gameplay, IMO, with basic jumps, and a lock on system to shot. I guess we should sticky with 2D and sprites, since it would easier to create, and we could focus more on the areas, new abilities as dashing, or things like that and won't need to worry so much about polygon counts, or slow downs...

I am no coder, tough, but I think in 2D more people can contribute.
    While the game is intended to be 3D, we still need 2D artists. For example, we need people to work on GUI, maps, title screen, etc. And we surely can use more artworks for promotion.
    OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 am

Adrian2040N wrote:
    OniLink++ wrote:The one problem I have with Unity3D is that it's not yet available for Linux. I wonder if it's compatible with WINE.

Remember to try Crossover and Crossover Game as an alternative to Wine. (It basically attempts to do the same as Wine, but is coded in a completely different way.)
    Actually it looks like it's running just fine in WINE. From what I've read, Unity uses C# for scripting? Eh, I remember trying it a while back, wasn't too different from C++. I didn't like the .NET framework that much, but I'll give it a shot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm