Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
General Specific
MaestroMaharg
6 posters

How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"?

Poll

Would you like to see a light stealth aspect?

[ 5 ]
    people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? I_vote_lcap100%people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? I_vote_rcap [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? I_vote_lcap0%people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 5
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? Empty How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"?

Post by MaestroMaharg Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 pm

I think that the stealth aspect of Megaman Legends should be more present, whether it's sneaking past the gang of kids in the Apple Market, or...Well, that's it; And that's my point! That stealth in Megaman Legends in dang-near non-existant.
    Before I post my idea, I'd at least like to hear if anyone else is interested in expanding on the stealth aspect? Even if it means turning a near non-existant one, into a light one.

If many people do, I'd assume General Specific would see it, (or I'd send it to him), and then, after that, I guess he'd forward it to Adrian.

Last edited by MaestroMaharg on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? Empty Re: How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"?

Post by General Specific Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't think it would be well-suited for Barrett. He's a very bombastic character, and his play-style should definitely reflect that—I doubt he'd use stealth in his skill repertory.

Stealth is something that could be fun to use against certain Reaverbots, and in ruin puzzles in Legends III. And, ultimately, it works better with Volnutt's play-style. I'll support it as a future idea to experiment with, and I was already thinking about it a long time ago at the Devroom.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

people - How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"? Empty Re: How Many People Would be Interested in Lightly Expanding "Stealth"?

Post by MaestroMaharg Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:27 pm

General Specific wrote: I don't think it would be well-suited for Barrett. He's a very bombastic character, and his play-style should definitely reflect that—I doubt he'd use stealth in his skill repertory.

Stealth is something that could be fun to use against certain Reaverbots, and in ruin puzzles in Legends III. And, ultimately, it works better with Volnutt's play-style. I'll support it as a future idea to experiment with, and I was already thinking about it a long time ago at the Devroom.
    I as thinking the exact same thing; Barrett + Stealth = Undecided ,so what I'd been thinking was that stealth be avoided for the Prototype version, and instead be in the full release of Megaman Legends. Megaman seems like more the character to take his time, and possibly think about the situation or use stealth before diving in. And while Barrett isn't all "PewPew, Boom! Yeaah!", he certainly leans alot more to that side than Megaman.
    Even if we were to incorporate my stealth idea into the Prototype, it's pretty light, I guarantee you.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Feel free to spew it out, sonny. Be aware, though, that I'm going to bed right about now—so I'll check it tomorrow.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 pm

The idea's almost ready to be posted. But, now that I tink of it; The idea would work for Barrett just as well. not because of his playstyle, but because of his personality. I'll post this weekend, probobly in a new thread, and here of course.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:05 am

Well, gee. I never did post the idea, did I? Sorry about that!
    The basic idea is simple-If the player uses the "walking" function around certain Reaverbots, they'd either have decreased agression, or completely ignore the player.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 425

Post by LordGarza Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 am

As if they could sense danger when you're running and not sensing it when walking? Awesome. That would be great if you want some peaceful time without fighting reaverbots! Very Happy
    Rockman Striker
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I vaguely suggested this in GS's thread about Barret's controls. Ecstatic
    This is a good idea in my opinion, despite Barret or Megaman's personality, the option could still be available for "the player" I mean, there are some persons that use to think carefully their moves before striking, what about if the player is low of health? he could sneak to avoid fighting a very dangerous reaverbot.

Good examples of how to implement this idea are:

Xenosaga Ep. 1: There were some enemies that only could detect the player by the noise of the characters's footsteps, the player could avoid fighting by just walking, even if the enemy was near the character.

Tenchu: Stealth is the main point in the Tenchu series, because the characters are ninjas, so the sneak skill is very complex and real, an enemy can spot the character when the player lands of a jump (the noise can be diminished by crouching or rolling at the time of the landing), running on water (again, the noise is less if the player walks or avoid steping on water) while jumping into the water (if the player enters the water by rolling on the ground the guards can't hear the splash) and so on, the game is very creative in this aspect.

If this feature is included in the final product of course it will be far less realistic and complex than in Tenchu, maybe it will be used just for the above mentioned purposes, if you think about it, in MML there were no real uses for walking, except for that small and plain tutorial in MML1 that Maestro mentioned, the feature IS there, but it's almost imperceptible and useless, so giving the walking function a plus, even if it's just for the player's fun is ok, but implementing a bit more creative it could be something the player could rely besides shooting and punching.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:23 pm

One issue I can think of with the idea is; Walking slowly past Reaverbots you don't want to fight would take a long time, and could easily get boring. Perhaps instead of being able to sneak past allthe Reaverbots, only certain Reaverbots can be snuck by, That way; you wouldn't always have the option of deciding to take the long but safe way. Certain enemies wouldn't attack if you walked, that way it would get nearly as boring. As long as said enemies only appeared three or four times in the game, that is.
    On a side note; if we are going to implement walking/shuffling; I think we should turn it into a faster, more "tip-toe" movement.
    Sciver
    Sciver
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Male Posts : 51

Post by Sciver Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 am

Perhaps it's not that you're sneaking past the bots, but that they're easily 'startled' by sudden movement.

They could be more like stationary obstacles that spot you dashing past and flip the heck out and go into a panicked 'destroy everything that moves' mode.

I don't know about tip-toeing though... that seems like it would turn into a really annoying animation really fast...
    KokO
    KokO
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 23

Post by KokO Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:06 am

It should simply be that, if the reaverbot hasn't seen you yet, you're safe. The moment the reaverbot spots you, it will chase you until you're killed.

I think that's how it should be with bounds that reaverbots are machines. It would most likely make sure to get rid of all intruders until it thinks that the area is cleared
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:08 am

I probobly should've mentioned that that's what I meant. Sneaking past the Reaverbots without them seeing you seems like it'd feel to heavy on stealth elements for Megaman Legends. I agree with both of you; The Reaverbots should simply be 'easily startled'.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Maybe a freezing weapon could do what we want. (It should only work with small reaverbots, and possibly have a 50% chance of freezing it)
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm

That sounds like a cool idea, LordGarza. But I wouldn't exactly think of it as an alternate to a stealth mechanic.
    Rockman Striker
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:49 pm

It wouldn't be used as easy and simple as you imagined Maestro, one thing to consider while programming a stealth move is the enemy, the player could easily walk behind a single horokko that is inert, that's why this kind of stuff is always at the hand with the enemy AI, if you think about it, reaverbots are like sentinels, they're always scouting many areas, so in order to add a fun and handy feature like stealth, the enemy should be moving constantly from a side to another, rotating itself and turn back sometimes, take in consideration that if the player enters into the range of view of a reaverbot, even if it's walking, the reaverbot will attack until it's destroyed or the player is killed, if there are multiple reaverbots in a room and the player is spotted by just one of the reaverbots, all of them will activate and attack, so the positioning of the reaverbots in the areas is crucial to make this movement effective and not boring, as I said before, there are players that would like to avoid fighting under certain conditions and if they care their "lives" they would need a bit of patience to get this trick to work, and there are players that would like to fight until the last moment, having no care of this feature, again, it's more a matter of the player's personality than anything else.

Since this is an action game, most of the time the player would need to fight, but there could be a way to avoid some reaverbots or kill them without being spotted, as an option for the player or maybe as a couple of missions.

Every movement in MML3 would be faster than in previous games, so the walk feature would need to be a bit faster in order to keep the game's speed and balance, but i'm against a tip-toe animation. Ecstatic
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah, RS. What I meant Maestro, is having a special wepon based in ice, which could have that feature as an extra. It can be either a simple weapon or a method to not fight enemies (we must remember my initial idea was of 50% chance working, which means it is NOT a secure way and perhaps a fight would engage)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 am