Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Dashe
ThorkellTheTall
WhiteBonne
General Specific
DJ-P0N3
Nightgazer13
Skybane Zero
Edich
PhantomKirin
13 posters

About Aero and the other heroines...

PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 44

About Aero and the other heroines... Empty About Aero and the other heroines...

Post by PhantomKirin Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 am

Hey guys, I just had a thought...

Considering for the moment about the heroine contest from the Devroom, and the fact that there were 9 choices for the role, with the fact that we could only choose one...

I was thinking that, maybe we could include them all in this game? Put each of them somewhere in the game, maybe even give some of them some actual relevance to the plot, and give them all some attention, just so it shows a bit about how much detail that we're willing to put into the game. Any thoughts?
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

About Aero and the other heroines... Empty Re: About Aero and the other heroines...

Post by Edich Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:06 am

I can't speak for everyone in the project, but I know I'm considering it. I already have a rough draft for one of the Heroines as an NPC that I'm holding onto for the moment.

We're also considering implementing runner-ups/honorable mentions and other entries to the Devroom contests. We're also going to make sure we have permission from the individual fans that created them.

We just need to cement some of the storyline and core mechanics before we start seriously considering and committing to all this, though.
    Skybane Zero
    Skybane Zero
    DASH Writer
    DASH Writer

Male Posts : 206

About Aero and the other heroines... Empty Re: About Aero and the other heroines...

Post by Skybane Zero Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 pm

I've thought about that myself as well. I think it would be really cool if they were all implemented in the game in some way. Even if they are just NPCs.

And anyway, we need ideas for more NPCs.
    Nightgazer13
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Nightgazer13 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 pm

May as well. After all, who doesn't like a good easter egg?
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Skybane Zero wrote:And anyway, we need ideas for more NPCs.

Yea, I actually applied with the interest in being the NPC characterization/dialogue guy. But NPCs and the like are the details of the project and we're still making broad strokes. It's not something that should be entirely expanded upon right now. NPCs have to fit into the mold of the setting and story, doing it inversely will just cause problems.
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

They're mostly solid character designs and since we're already lifting a bunch of ideas from the devteam I see no reason not to include them somewhere in the game. It will also save us a ton of time when trying to come up with some of the more detailed NPCs. I will say that a lot of those characters are going to need some tweaking depending on the environment they're presented in and removing the western aesthetic in a few of them will also probably be necessary.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:09 pm

Reserve them for NPC roles and give a side-quest to the Suetsugu submission—after all, she was in 2nd place and, well, I voted for her, lol. They shouldn't have major roles, but using some of them would be a nice way to recognize the past efforts of the character illustrators who participated in the first Event.
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 pm

General Specific wrote:Reserve them for NPC roles and give a side-quest to the Suetsugu submission—after all, she was in 2nd place and, well, I voted for her, lol. They shouldn't have major roles, but using some of them would be a nice way to recognize the past efforts of the character illustrators who participated in the first Event.

I think one or two of the better designs would have significant roles. The problem with using them as standard NPCs are that they actually look like major characters. It actually throws people off to see an overly developed NPC unless most of them are fairly ornate looking (not exactly a quality that Legends NPCs are known for). I think it would be okay to relegate them to somewhat significant roles on the same level as, say, the museum curator was on.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:48 am

Yea, I think the only design that we could probably just use as is is metool hat Mayl-looking school-girl. She's pretty simple, appearance-wise.
    WhiteBonne
    WhiteBonne
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by WhiteBonne Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Yeah, it was a hotly requested thing after the contest, and having them all as NPCs somewhere would only make the game more diverse.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:50 pm

All we'd have to do for the ones we selected is revise their designs, making them more simple, and knowing which context they'd fit best in.
    ThorkellTheTall
    ThorkellTheTall
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by ThorkellTheTall Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:42 pm

I want to see Inafune's design somewhere.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:45 pm

She can be a booth babe for ComCap. It would all being to make sense!

—Or, of course, one of the guys from ComCap starts a new media company, and this is their booth babe.
    Dashe
    Dashe
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Female Posts : 120

Post by Dashe Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Yoshikawa's design belongs on the beach or in a pool. Razz I honestly couldn't see her just walking around town like that unless she was a Victoria's Secret Jr. model.

If Ishikawa's had a different top, she could be a secretary. If she had a different pair of pants/skirt, she could be another biker or gang member. Right now she's in a weird kind of limbo between the two and needs to swing one way or the other.

Agreed on Kaji's being good as is. Maybe replace the Met symbol on her hat with a flower, though, if we're using Chip. Both of them having it would be a bit much, and cloche-style caps are in.

I think Itou's is good as-is, as well. She'd make a nice shopkeeper and looks like someone who could get her hands dirty.

Inafune's definitely needs to be a booth babe. That is all. Razz

I'd get rid of Higurashi's bunny ears, make them into pigtails and extend her shirt all the way down to her waistline. She'd make for a pretty solid-looking digger character otherwise.

Design wise, I don't much care for Suetsugu's feather, but otherwise it looks pretty solid. She seems rather like an ordinary biker without the feather, maybe a more ordinary motorhorse-rider instead of a gang member. The kind of person who could give you sidequests, as mentioned before.

Nakayama's looks really young. She could pass for someone about Pic's age.

I don't know what to do about all of their goggles, though. I think all of the designers were encouraged to include goggles with their design as a staple for the Bright Bats, and many of them don't necessarily need to have 'em. It may be a good idea to omit the goggles wherever it can be done, or substitute them...like if Yoshikawa's girl were a beachgoer, she could have sunglasses instead and completely lose the cape...maybe swap it for a magazine and an ice cool glass of lemonade, assuming it's even beach weather, and there's a beach to lounge by. Seriously, I don't know where else anybody would wear that. >_<
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Yoshikiwa's design as beachgoer is a role to consider. But removing the cloak seems a little odd(also, those goggles already look like tinted sunglasses), especially since I see it as the biggest draw to the design. Also, the role seems too, well, static. I want to try making each Heroine's role have a level of significance/recurrence and be a bit dynamic. They were supposed to be Heroines, after all

The design actually reminds me of someone who would be in a high-wind, desert area. Mostly for the same reason's you mentioned(the bikini-like under clothing to keep cool), but also because the hooded cloak and goggles, if we're talking practicality, would be helpful in blocking out the sun and sand/dust storms, with the white color of her clothing helps her keep the heat out. Alternatively, adding some more clothing underneath her cloak makes her a good fit for a blizzard/snow area as the hooded cloak and goggles would serve the same purpose and the white clothing helps her blend in. Then again, I don't think we have either a snowy or desert area we can work with right now, even though Klickelan seems to have some level of climate diversity. Snow area would be the most justifiable, since we have mountain ranges and all. Having her be a hiker/mountaineer at high altitude outpost leading up to a ruin at the peak could be interesting.

Agreed on Ishikiwa's design, I'd prefer to take the different pants/skirt angle and make her a biker. Fits with Teomo well, and can give her a marginal recurring role.

On Kaji's design. I can see that.

Yea, agreed on Itou's design, I've kind of been wanting to make her a junk-store shopkeep for a bit. Just need to find the right way to portray that role with her design interestingly, Legends already has a pretty interesting junk store owner to look back on, gotta meet and top that. Probably a dev section topic, and a bit down the line unless inspiration hits or it's priority changes.

Inafune's design really does scream booth babe, that's actually all I hear mentioned for her suggested role. Considering our Capcom franchise parody seems to be evolving into a fairly significant side-plot/quest, she might fit well there.

On Higurashi's design, do you mean make the hair stick out to the sides more? Because she already technically has pig/twin tails, they just go back more than to the side. Probably because of that aviator cap in the way.

I think we've seemed to take a different route for Suegetsu's design when discussing possibilities for the unmentioned areas in the Klickelan island map, which will probably fit better with giving her a good side-quest role. Dunno about the feather myself, though.

Nakayama's design does look young, that's for sure. The only thing I can think up for her as a role is "pop-idol." Which sounds absolutely boring to me.

As for goggles. Nakayama and possibly Suegetsu's design should drop them. I think Itou's design fits well with them. Higurashi's design will most likely get a different looking headgear considering we're also pondering over a role for her in one of the unmentioned areas in the Klickelan island map we've discussed which will probably change it if we take that route.
    HalcyonDays
    HalcyonDays
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by HalcyonDays Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

General Specific wrote:She can be a booth babe for ComCap. It would all being to make sense!

—Or, of course, one of the guys from ComCap starts a new media company, and this is their booth babe.
    How about a Booth Babe for YAG?

Y'know, that mysterious gaming school in Kattelox Uptown?
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:17 pm

YAG is the Kattleox division, actually—we can clarify that in-game, I 'spose.
    Krotar
    Krotar
    Official Multitasking Developer
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 8

Post by Krotar Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:59 am

Hrm...Let me take a crack at these.

Nakayama's Entry
    Nakayama's entry and two of her friends, wanting to be more like the big kids, have formed their own "gang". Since they're just kids, though, their idea of what makes a rebellious youth group is a bit limited to harmless practical jokes. Ding-Dong Ditching, graffiti (drawn in chalk), prank calls, that kind of thing. When Barret runs into them, they've taken their "reign of terror" to the next level: dropping water balloons on people from rooftops. This understandably starts to annoy the townsfolk, so Barret takes action. This'd be the bit where the player learns to run up walls. He dashes up the side of the building, startles the kids, then gives them a scolding. Awed by Barret's coolness (dude just ran up a friggin' wall!), they go from being a bunch of wannabe delinquents to the Bright Bats' own personal fan-club.

Higurashi's Entry
    A lot of people seem to want this girl to be a digger, and I can see why. What if she was the receptionist at the Digger's Guild? If folks want to see her digging skills in action, then she could do a run of each digger-test course before the player does, to give 'em an idea of what they're dealing with.

Inafune's Entry
    She really is the most out of place, isn't she? Like she's from some sort of Space Ranger anime or something. So, why don't we do just that? She could be the star of the latest, most popular kid's show "Lady Starforce"! Whether it's a cartoon or a sort of Power Rangers/Kamen Rider live-action thing is up for debate. I could see Pic and Nakayama's character being big fans of this show.

Itou's Entry
    Grill is the Bright Bats' mechanic, but who's the mechanic for Bullbreath's gang? How about her? Not only that, but what if Grill had a crush on her, despite their respective gangs hating each other? Ooo! Scandalous! ;D

Suetsugu's Entry
    I think back during the voting, someone remarked that they could see this girl coming from the Sart Farm. I can imagine she's none-too happy at Tron for stealing all her family's animals back in the day. I wonder what would happen if the Bonnes were to ever show their faces around her place again? Hm...
    Of course the side-quest giver idea sounds great, too. What kind of side-quests would she give, though?

Ishikawa's Entry
    I could see her being a biker, like others have suggested, but...
    Well, back when I had those fan-events in the Devroom, I kinda wanted her to run a pet store. One that had no pets. It would be the player's job to track down pets in out-of-the-way places to stock her store with (these pets would be some of the better entries from the Bright Bats mascot contest).

Yoshikawa's Entry
    That last picture of her in the bottom left...it makes her look so mysterious, so shady...During the voting, I kept imagining her wandering the frozen wastes of the Forbidden Island (probably not the smartest thing for her to do, considering what little is under the cloak, but whatever). I can't for the life of me think of a REASON for her to be there, though (at least not a good one), so how about this instead?:
    Shady cloak, eyes hidden behind goggles, but clothes that clearly wouldn't be worn by any sensible criminal. I'd say she's Teomo's resident information broker, and thus the source of most of Pic's info. The fact Pic doesn't get his info first hand could be played for some laughs.
    She'd probably be a bit theatrical with the whole "mysterious information broker" angle, prone to flourishing her cape and "vanishing without a trace until she is needed again" (probably just by saying "look over there!" then being seen running away in the background, possibly tripping along the way.)

Kaji's Entry
    This one's tough. She could fit in almost anywhere, so it's difficult to think of a solid character background for her other than "a townsperson". Hrm...
    Barret doesn't seem like the type who likes reading. Maybe she could be a student doing some studying in the library? Since Barret's not about to pour through the ancient texts, drinking in world history, she could serve as a sort of surrogate reader, spouting off factoids of the world's past and other things she's read in her books.

Komaki's Entry
    WELP. I'm absolutely stumped on this one. Absolutely no idea what purpose she could serve in this game. Guess we can't use her. Oh well. Razz [/silliness]

And I think that's everybody! So, what do you guys think? Do I have anything worth keeping here?

Also, can someone fill me in on all this ComCap/YAG stuff?
    PixelSprite
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Female Posts : 205

Post by PixelSprite Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:02 pm

I'd like to hop on your idea for Inafune's design and add something we could use if we go that route.

I was just looking through the Star Force Complete Works book yesterday and there is some concept art of an pink, unused female Megaman-like character with a blond ponytail that merges with a pig-like wizard. (Page 85 if anyone wants to look it up.) A couple design tweaks and it could probably dove-tail into 'Lady Starforce' quite readily.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Krotar wrote:Hrm...Let me take a crack at these.

Nakayama's Entry
    Nakayama's entry and two of her friends, wanting to be more like the big kids, have formed their own "gang". Since they're just kids, though, their idea of what makes a rebellious youth group is a bit limited to harmless practical jokes. Ding-Dong Ditching, graffiti (drawn in chalk), prank calls, that kind of thing. When Barret runs into them, they've taken their "reign of terror" to the next level: dropping water balloons on people from rooftops. This understandably starts to annoy the townsfolk, so Barret takes action. This'd be the bit where the player learns to run up walls. He dashes up the side of the building, startles the kids, then gives them a scolding. Awed by Barret's coolness (dude just ran up a friggin' wall!), they go from being a bunch of wannabe delinquents to the Bright Bats' own personal fan-club.

Inafune's Entry
    She really is the most out of place, isn't she? Like she's from some sort of Space Ranger anime or something. So, why don't we do just that? She could be the star of the latest, most popular kid's show "Lady Starforce"! Whether it's a cartoon or a sort of Power Rangers/Kamen Rider live-action thing is up for debate. I could see Pic and Nakayama's character being big fans of this show.

Ishikawa's Entry
    I could see her being a biker, like others have suggested, but...
    Well, back when I had those fan-events in the Devroom, I kinda wanted her to run a pet store. One that had no pets. It would be the player's job to track down pets in out-of-the-way places to stock her store with (these pets would be some of the better entries from the Bright Bats mascot contest).

These are the ones I'm pretty much all for and want to run with and see what we can do. I also really liked Yoshikawa's entry suggestion but it feels more like a Pheonix Wright character than a Legends character. Legends is silly, but for some reason; theatrical, Kaitou Kid-like silliness seems to cross some invisible line for me.
    Suda
    Suda
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by Suda Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:15 pm

How about extra skins? That seems like a pretty neat idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm