Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3

Suda
    Suda
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3 Empty Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3

Post by Suda Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Before attempting to form a story for the third installment, I wanted to do an overview of the previous two games, use events, causations, and consequences to set the scene and background for a sequel, and to utilize some plot points as ways to further the conflict of the third game more efficiently, and with continuity. I apologize if anything written here conflicts with the ideas already presented by other members, or if the whole thing itself is not productive because the direction of the game has already been decided in my absence. I wrote this neglecting to read the other topics at hand first.

Let us begin.

Universe/setting:

Spoiler:

Characters:

Spoiler:

Plot overview:
    Spoiler:

Certain points ([*]) need to be rationalized in the sequel, and some may be used to create a greater structure for a sequel.

[1] Relatively primitive technology for such a progressive year is not explained, but possible rationalized by the Flood (see [2]).

[2] The Flood is an unexplained causation, must be rationalized in continuity. Is the mass body of water natural? Possible plot point to be used.

[3] Refractor use details and process are not explained; minor fault famed from within underground Ruins unexplained origin, ambiguous connection to Elysium, possibly needs rationalization.

[4] Much larger civilization and available land is an unexplained remedy to flood from first game. Assumption of another faraway location from Kattelox island or different face of the Earth.
    -Relationship may be a possible plot point for future.

[5] Barrell's dig in Nino island is roughly outlined in a book, and may be open to expansion.

[6] Oppurtunity to include gameplay segment using a young Barrell.

[7] History of Ancients may need expansion.

[8] Unexplained event/causation: Was Juno placed under Kattelox Island prior to, ab initio, or after the flood. Possibility to use this as revelation for the System of antagonists.

[9] Reason for Mega Man being on Nino Island specifically needs a small explanation.

[10] Unexplained reasoning for why Sera aska Yuna for the Keys to Elysium.

[11] Sera is only able to perform the CRP after the arduous task of getting the keys and accessing the Library. It is asssumed that a Mother Unit is above a Bureaucratic Unit in the System Hierarchy. Unexplained event how Juno might have been able to initialize it himself from Kattelox Island.

[12] Possible plot point to be used as a segment for the sequel.

[13] Alignment parameters offered to the character, but out of reach for the actual player. Possible reason to include an alignment system. Also, ""Destroy the System or defend it," is further justification for this.

[14] Assuming Joe is truly Roll's father, and that he and Matilda disappeared during a dig on the Forbidden Islands, there is a possibility of a side segment.

[15] Needs a little explanation or exploit for plot.

To wrap up the overview, it seems that there are several inconsistencies and/or points that have been found in the previous two games that can require rationalization and explanation,and there are those that can offer opportunities for gameplay sequences, and new plot points to add to the continuity. More importantly, the first two games were driven by its story that gave reason to its core gameplay; dungeon crawling. According to MML1, this was to find refractors to repair the Flutter, and gave way to the Ruins. As it progressed, the Main Gate of the first game set the scene for MML2, and the System. For MML2, the dungeon crawling was given way because of the quest to find the Keys to get into Elysium. To follow this pattern, and provide gameplay, a few ideas can be used together, or alone.

Essentially, MML3 can go many different ways. It can become a game that is strictly a sequel, that offers concepts that justify the past inconsistencies, while maintaining a whole new conflict. It can also become something similar to that of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, a prequel game that mainly set the scene for the original game, but is, as of now, the latest release in the series. In the case of Legends, this method can be used to give the players the experience of controlling Mega Man on Elysium, who, under the Master's request, sets out to destroy the System. Side segments can also be stuck into the game with ease.

(1) Prequel segments-- Life on Elysium for Mega Man, and his mission to destroy the System.
    (2) Side segments-- Barrell's adventures on Nino Island and the Forbidden Island. Also, using the already created characters Barrel and Aero as The Bright Bats whose actions may transcend into the conflict of the core story of MML3.
    (3) Sequel segments-- The main issue presented in the ending of MML2 is getting Mega Man back on Terra, which itself can provide a large portion of gameplay. However, this option is obviously a requirement of the game in any way possible, no matter what direction the game may take, but it does not have to be the main issue. If this were to work into the game being a prequel, it could be anywhere, even as a final cutscene. The System, and an assortment of remnants of the System, such as those like Juno on Kattelox Island can be used as protagonists should there be an extended story from the first game.

As a Prequel:
    Spoiler:

As a Sequel:
    Spoiler:

As a Mix:
    Spoiler:

My final words are that hopefully, people find this post useful. This entire thing is not meant just for my use, but rather for everyone, as a guideline to what exactly I think needs to be played off of or fixed, but how that would happen is up to the writer. These are just simply the things that should be addressed, so that as a narrative, Mega Man Legends 3 can be a success.

Last edited by Suda on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Increased readability, and a few minor writing errors fixed)
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3 Empty Re: Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:15 am

This is incredibly useful to those who might have missed or forgotten details from the games, most certainly, and it's very organized as well. We've decided to do the sequel route, attempting to pick up where the prototype was dropped and recreating it, and then moving on to a full-blown game that would be up to us to fill in the gaps. The thought of a hybrid, with flashbacks to the past as gameplay segments I believe would really add some extra storytelling possibilities I think if we did it right, so that seems like a good suggestion.

You should try signing up for a writer position, it seems like you'd make a good one. Our current writers seems to have gotten lazy, myself included. Guess that means it's time to pick up the pace and get off my ass.
    Suda
    Suda
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3 Empty Re: Suda's Mega Man Legends Universe Overview and Scene Setting for MML3

Post by Suda Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:57 am

I see. I assumed a sequel route would make more sense. Even so, I'd like to think it's still very possible to include gameplay segments for past and side events, such as Barrell's digs, Mega Man's Elysium life, and the like. At the very least, I'd like to see Mega Man's attempt at destroying the system happen.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Amazing and well organized summation there, Suda. One thing I'd like to point out is that you seemed to neglect mention of the Elder System, which I don't blame you for, it was a pretty small line at the very end of the game used for a sequel-hook, but it was a very foreboding situation, and the direction we're going with is revolving around that.

As most of the answers to your things are in the development section, I can't go into specifics, but let me at least answer as many of those points as possible.

1. The acts of Megaman Juno on Kattleox and Barrells statement about how "we just seemed to show up one day, with a culture already given to us" or something along those lines seems to suggest that the Master System is regulating how advanced the Carbons get.

2. We have come to a cause of the flood and it will serve as a large plot point related to the Elder System.

3. Are you talking about how exactly the refractors are utilized(as in how their energy is drawn, etc.)? We do know how we they are made(revealed in 5 Island Adventure) and are utilizing that as a plot point.

4. Can't really give a straight answer on this, as it would technically be conjecture on our own ideas/conclusions(and it's a bit difficult to finalize things this early and inactive). However, with our current direction for the Elder System and such, it's actually likely that the flood may have been slowly receding for a long time now. After all, despite the large landmasses, we aren't treated to many permanently settled areas. That's a bit of a stretch, though. At best the new land would be "recent" in historian years(as in a long time ago for a human lifespan, but not for exploration/settlement).

5 & 6. As Raiden said, not something we've really considered but a good suggestion. There was quite a debate over in the devroom, MMLS, and here that Barrett = Barrell in some crazy, weird way and when we really sat down and thought what possible plot-related role the scenario would serve at all the only thing anyone really came up with was "maybe the developers just wanted to show how great Barrell was in his prime?" Since we moved away from that scenario, this might be a great way to still be able to show off Barrell's stuff.

7. Already taken care of, albeit not entirely, through our Elder System concept, which is mostly finalized in it's direction/functions as it will be the largest plot point of the game.

8. We've reached a conclusion on this based on how we concluded the Elder and Master System interact. He was indeed an early placement for the Master System, but not as early as to be pre-flood.

9. I agree. Off the top of my head, I'd simply say that because he's a Master System Unit, the Nino ruins are a Master System installment, the Carbons and MS Units alike sealed off the place, and Yuna was about as rogue as he was at this point(having jurisdiction there) he saw it as his best bet for a safe house before resetting.

10. Yuna is the Terra side of the Master System's functions(or at least that's how I saw it). So arguably, it's her jurisdiction and she could override the security system to get to the keys. Without that option, Sera tricked Megaman and company into doing what Diggers do best. Blast the security away and get to the treasure.

11. We have also reached some conclusions on this. Simply put, Juno is a bit of an outdated function, in charge of a small test area until Carbon expansion across the globe necessitated a worldwide CRP to keep things running smoothly.

12. Agreed, but not something heavily discussed yet.

13. Alignment factors of that degree seem out of place in this style of game. It's not exactly open-world and Megaman isn't meant to be a player avatar but his own character, I'd like to keep it that way.

14. Yea, a possibility indeed. A possibility I've seriously racked my brains on before. In all honesty, that scene with Joe and the family photo in MML2? It really gave off this sense of finality and bit of closure to me. Like Joe had made his choice. Something I'd still like to explore though...somehow.

15. If I recall correctly, Teisel mentioned that he came back down from space, so it isn't omnipresence. But a little detail on the situation would be something to think about.

On your thoughts about the game direction:

We are intending to do the Prototype, both as a testing bed and as a setup to MML3, Barrett and the Bright Bats will be pulled into the main conflict as part of a three way race with the Bonnes and the Casketts for the Klicke Lafonica(which will be related to the Elder System); and an appropriate background for Barrett has been mostly finalized to set this up. The Master System is going to play more of a peripheral, "in hindsight" role over a main role in the game. I'm very interested in your "mixed" game suggestion, however, and it's something I'd like to explore in time.

Anyway, Adrian is the one that allows new members in, but as soon as you get in, mind if I send you a PM with some of the more important links from the dev section regarding the current situation/direction of the writing? I'd like to put you right up to speed and see you're opinions on them.

I've been meaning to PM the other writers this as well, because, as Raiden mentioned, we've all gotten pretty lazy.
    Suda
    Suda
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by Suda Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Please, by all means, talk with me about anything you need and want to. I'm happy to be here.

Edich wrote:One thing I'd like to point out is that you seemed to neglect mention of the Elder System, which I don't blame you for, it was a pretty small line at the very end of the game used for a sequel-hook...

Before I can really discuss anything, I want to know if by Elder System, you have all been referring to this quote.

Yuna, after defeat of Sera
    There are remnants of that System buried all over Terra in what the carbons call ruins.

This is what I'm referring to when I say remnants of the System.

Edich wrote:3. Are you talking about how exactly the refractors are utilized(as in how their energy is drawn, etc.)? We do know how we they are made(revealed in 5 Island Adventure) and are utilizing that as a plot point.

All I really mean is exactly how is the energy harvested from the actual refractor itself? Is it just placed into a large industrial generator that draws its energy out? Or in the case of the Flutter, a small makeshift version? It's just a small issue honestly.

Edich wrote:9. I agree. Off the top of my head, I'd simply say that because he's a Master System Unit, the Nino ruins are a Master System installment, the Carbons and MS Units alike sealed off the place, and Yuna was about as rogue as he was at this point(having jurisdiction there) he saw it as his best bet for a safe house before resetting

Megaman Discovery 1
    Once, a long time ago, I went to the ruins on Nino Island to do some research
    one the civilization that preceded ours. The ruins there are very dangerous, and
    normally sealed off. I snuck inside without the Guildmaster's permission. Just
    inside the entrance, I found a strange, diamond-shaped object. When I touched it,
    it fell apart--no, melted--and from inside there appeared a small child, a baby,
    and a monkey.

With this, Megaman was discovered in a diamond, much like Sera and Geetz at the beginning of MML2.

Someone had to have put him there, like Yuna put Sera on the Forbidden Island. Or does this mean he did all of that of his own accord? I was under the impression that he was placed there while he wasn't even conscious of anything at the time.

Otherwise, I'm glad to help contribute. PM me about anything necessary, and if anything should be discussed in further detail in the Development threads.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:40 pm

So a misunderstanding on my part about that then. Sorry, guess I've been so used to discussion about the Elder System that I was weirded out not seeing the actual phrase.

As for the refractors, I'd say it is a small issue. Think of it like hard sci-fi vs. soft sci-fi. In hard sci-fi, you have to be accurate, a spaceship traveling to a new planet has to be a colony ship, well stocked and capable of housing probably several generations down the line as faster than light travel isn't technically possible(unless you're a tachyon or something but I'm not going there) and that ship will be dragging along for a lot of years/decades.

Compare that to a soft sci-fi, Star Trek, and we got dilithium crystals that let them move faster than the speed of light. Because the point of of the story isn't accuracy, but space adventures; and taking much, much, much less than several decades to reach anywhere interesting is very helpful for that cause. I would classify Legends as soft sci-fi.

So basically, I'd say that unraveling how harvesting energy from a refractor works would only be necessary if it served a larger plot point, such as a failing reactor engine or some such scenario. Anyway, I think I'll look into it, "energy crystals" isn't necessarily a new thing(see Star Trek reference above), I should be able to come up with something marginally believable.

As for him being put there, Yuna sealed Sera away, maybe she sealed Megaman too? But the fact that Megaman made a backup of his memory and such seems to denote he had control of that situation.

EDIT: A cursory glance would seem to indicate some kind of electromagnetism would be in play.
    Suda
    Suda
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by Suda Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Edich wrote:As for him being put there, Yuna sealed Sera away, maybe she sealed Megaman too? But the fact that Megaman made a backup of his memory and such seems to denote he had control of that situation.

Well, this can be gone over in detail after I go over the games again.

Also, has there been discussion about the good luck charm given to megaman?

The Master
    This is, a good luck charm. As long as you have it, no one can stop or harm you. Return to Elysium. Delete all data from the Library, you understand?

I really can't stress how much I myself want to do a prequel segment, but of course, that's up for discussion amongst everyone else in the writing department.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Well, looking it up, it appears to be the Master's Genetic Code. In the transcripts, it never mentions it directly in Megaman & The Masters conversation and Sera and Yuna insist throughout the story that the Master gave it to him. This is a very important plot hook that was also never settled. Gatts states that once all the humans(The Master's race) died out, their genetic codes would be used to clone new ones after the CRP took effect.

So Megaman pretty much holds the key to the final function of the whole Master/Elder system plan. It may very well act as an activation "key" of sorts for it as well.

Oh, yeah. Also looking through the script, it seems Megaman and Sera fought to a standstill and Yuna took the opportunity to seal them both.
    Suda
    Suda
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by Suda Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Okay then, so I guess until I'm accepted as a writing contributor, I'll wait on a few things to discuss after I'm caught up to speed.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Alright then. I PMed Adrian about both you and Krotar, as he has been pending approval as well, so hopefully it'll be fairly soon.
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:05 pm

On the note of Refractors, I vaguely recall the Kattelox Library mentioning something about holon machines spinning the refractors at high speeds. While we might not need to go into detail for this stuff, I myself could easily come up with theories to this, so if we ever feel like going into detail we could probably think up some stuff on out own.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am