Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
SeeFly
nikklament
KarasuShiro
General Specific
Adrian2040
Goldbott
HBV-05-E Raiden
Ben-Hur Pilotti
12 posters

Episodic releases?

Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 84

Episodic releases? Empty Episodic releases?

Post by Ben-Hur Pilotti Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Ya know, we are here, but CAPCOM can stop our fun real quick. We surely are trying to make a full game, and it would be a waste to have to close a project with a lot of work done.

Then, I suggest in doing episodes, or chapters. Each one having 2-3 hours of duration, so we can focus on small parts, and release them as we finish them, thus even if we are stopped, we were able to provide some of the game.
    This way, we can be faster in doing some gameplay events, and etc.

Besides, we could try to make special animations for important events. Maybe, we shall try to use an animation made with pencil and paper, or some stylish work with pictures, so we can provide a good, satisfying view of the story, and it will be easier and won't stop the flow of the game production. 3D cutscenes may be awesome too, just one idea to take in consideration. ^^
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Episodic releases? Empty Re: Episodic releases?

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I saw this discussed earlier at one point, and that actually isn't a bad idea. Even if we get canned, we can at least let out a teeny bit, and also it'll let us see how much people would be interested in the game's actual gameplay and story.

Last edited by HBV-05-E Raiden on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I keep on using likewise instead of also...)
    Goldbott
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

That would be a good idea, it's always good to have short term goals.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 pm

We still haven't make a final decision about this. However, we hope to release the Prototype "remake" first. After that we'll see what would be the most appropriate way to make/distribute the actual game with Trigger..
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Let's worry about demo work and prototypes first. We can, however, do this and it'll work very well, so long as each episode can segue right into another one—we could also modularize the Prototype, creating a framework that will allow for content addition over time. So, while there may only be one mission, the player can still mess around town if he so chooses, while we play gopher in our work caves.
    KarasuShiro
    KarasuShiro
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 24

Post by KarasuShiro Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:55 pm

I support the episodic releases too , for many reasons already posted like the "fans feedback" not to mention that i would give us the opportunity to add new things on the way. for exemple if during the programation and all that stuff, we find some cool thing for a mini game wich was not implanted in the firsts episodes, then we can make it, no stress. well anyway, again i only give my ideas XD
    nikklament
    nikklament
    Official Multitasking Developer
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 47

Post by nikklament Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm all for an episodic release. We could take the Sonic 4 approach of releasing an episode and listen to fan feedback of what gameplay elements to tweak or improve upon, but still keep our ideas for story, setting, etc unchanged.
    SeeFly
    SeeFly
    Official Marketing Member
    Official Marketing Member

Male Posts : 11

Post by SeeFly Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 pm

I love this idea, it really can build up to a climatic ending
    lunargoblin
    lunargoblin
    Normal User
    Normal User

Male Posts : 33

Post by lunargoblin Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm

If we do this, every episode will have to be its own slice of perfected awesome. Because people will probably play to the end of each episode, wait for the next, then play to the end of that one, we have to make sure each episode is 100% DONE and PERFECT before moving on, otherwise we'll have no way of going back to correct mistakes without forcing the players to start over. Also, it will take players 3+ years (or however long it takes us to finish) to beat the game.

In short, great idea in theory, but I don't believe it will work so well in practice.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:49 pm

lunargoblin wrote:If we do this, every episode will have to be its own slice of perfected awesome. Because people will probably play to the end of each episode, wait for the next, then play to the end of that one, we have to make sure each episode is 100% DONE and PERFECT before moving on, otherwise we'll have no way of going back to correct mistakes without forcing the players to start over. Also, it will take players 3+ years (or however long it takes us to finish) to beat the game.

In short, great idea in theory, but I don't believe it will work so well in practice.

Have you ever played a Telltales Game? They make awesome games in an episodic format.

(Although I'm still not convinced to develop this game in an episodic format apart from release Prototype first.)
    lunargoblin
    lunargoblin
    Normal User
    Normal User

Male Posts : 33

Post by lunargoblin Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:06 pm

I have not played them, but I'll definitely look them up and give them a shot.

I'm just not convinced that episodic format would work for *this* game, but in the end it's not my decision Smile
    Dashe
    Dashe
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Female Posts : 120

Post by Dashe Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:56 pm

I'd release the Prototype first to gauge the market. If Capcom responds favorably or keeps quiet, then keep going with the rest of it. Least we could do is stick to our guns with that.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 425

Post by LordGarza Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Adrian2040N wrote:We still haven't make a final decision about this. However, we hope to release the Prototype "remake" first. After that we'll see what would be the most appropriate way to make/distribute the actual game with Trigger..
    CAPCOM actually didn't finish their "Prototype", so it's good to point out that we aren't doing a remake, but our own Prototype Version Smile
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 pm

LordGarza wrote:
    Adrian2040N wrote:We still haven't make a final decision about this. However, we hope to release the Prototype "remake" first. After that we'll see what would be the most appropriate way to make/distribute the actual game with Trigger..
    CAPCOM actually didn't finish their "Prototype", so it's good to point out that we aren't doing a remake, but our own Prototype Version Smile

Actually, we ARE doing a remake. However, we will fill out everything that's missing from what we known with our own ideas. (And we don't know A LOT.)
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:55 pm

We can, of course, take a lot of liberties with this project, considering how little we know about the planned missions and plot development, et al.
    Baldarov
    Baldarov
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Baldarov Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 am

I don't think the actual MML3 portion should be episodic, but if you find it was a lot of fun actually making it and want to make extra episodes, that would probably be pretty swell, since Japanese companies tend to drop the ball HARD on 'dlc' additions (their tradition is to simply put out something when they feel it's 100% complete, so their attempts to emulate western DLC are laughable at best, outright insulting at worse, like Capcom's buyable palette recolours as 'new characters' or Soul Calibur 4 promising DLC but it turns out to be nothing more than "the data for the character from the other system already exists, 3buxplz to use them!")
    therefore, you can probably get extra mileage(downloads, likes, whatever you're counting) out of it if you make the dlc full 'episodes' ala Fallout 3's expansion missions. And maybe some 'just for fun' or 'what-if' episodes or small sets of challenge missions. These kinds of things are common in the west but nearly invisible in japan. They will instead build a crapload of challenge levels and release it as a fully priced 'game' but when it arrives in the west, we'll chastise them for it because we recognize it as expansion content. Most recent examples would be that one MGS game that was nearly all VR missions, and Res Evil Mercenaries.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 am