Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
Mr.Jackpot
Edich
General Specific
Chaotic Chao
Goldbott
Maddey_Linqs
Adrian2040
WhiteBonne
MaestroMaharg
13 posters

How should we go about this game?

Poll

How should this project be done as far as programming?

[ 1 ]
    How should we go about this game? I_vote_lcap3%How should we go about this game? I_vote_rcap [3%] 
    [ 28 ]
    How should we go about this game? I_vote_lcap90%How should we go about this game? I_vote_rcap [90%] 
    [ 2 ]
    How should we go about this game? I_vote_lcap6%How should we go about this game? I_vote_rcap [6%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How should we go about this game? I_vote_lcap0%How should we go about this game? I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 31
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

How should we go about this game? Empty How should we go about this game?

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 pm

My first thought was simply that this fan project will be made using 3D character models, in a similar fashion as the Official Megaman Legends 3 Project had done. However, it hit my mind that perhaps that would take far too long.

The final decision is absolutely Adrians, as this is his love-child, but I am personally eager to hear how you guys think this should be made possible.

Poll below including a few possiblee options;
    WhiteBonne
    WhiteBonne
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

How should we go about this game? Empty Re: How should we go about this game?

Post by WhiteBonne Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Unfortunately any MML 3d model projects I've seen have looked really ugly and are still really hard to make on low/zero budget.

Hmm, I don't know if it'd be possible to actually extract the models from the games (in the same way that the paper crafts are made). But that seems iffy...

I'm going to have to agree though, 2D side scrolling wouldn't really capture the spirit, and an RPG would be far from it.

However, Game Maker is probably the best option program wise, even if it's not 2D
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:31 pm

@WhiteBonne

"2D side scrolling wouldn't really capture the spirit" An opinion is an opinion. But, might I ask; have you heard of a game called Megaman Digger? Link here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgi4mWfpYfo
    I've played the "beta" and it's actually quite fantastic, no full release yet though, also, it's certainly no competition, as it isn't actually a sequel, but rather a spin-off. And besides, the more MML fan games, the better.

Also, I'm going to have to disagree that an RPG wouldn't adequetly suffice. I beleive a Megaman Legends made with RPG Maker VX would be increedibly loyal to the series. I going to have to cast my vote for RPG maker myself.

If you don't see what im getting at, imagine this video, excpet with the generic dungeon replaced with a ruin tileset, the character(s) being Megaman, the enemies Reaverbots, and "buster-bullets" being fired from side to side.7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiet8ZZWSI

To tell you the truth, I can see it now. "Open up your menu, click attack, choose either buster hun or special weapon". "Open menu, click inventory, choose energy canteen, hyper cartridge, or chameleon net". Since MML is an action RPG, to me, and RPG such as the one in the following video is the most logical of choices.

Plus it's easy. the engine's already there, and we can even just use stationary drawing! If we were to use this, it could easily be a quality product in under a year!

Last edited by MaestroMaharg on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information)
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I actually know someone who created a MegaMan Legends homebrew game for the DSi. It was like the PSOne version, but it was mostly a tech demo. I'll try to see if I can recruit him.

EDIT: Here's the site of his tech demo project. https://sites.google.com/site/t377ygames/downloads/dsi-games/project-legends-ds-dsi-news
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:48 pm

@Adrian

That looks fantastic. however, how long do you suppose it took him to make that? It most likely has no storyline or other characters. If we were to take a more modest approach such as RPG Maker VX, then we would already be into the real "meat" of development, rather than just beggining. Are you seeing where I'm coming from?

None the less, that is a pretty cool project he's working on. Razz
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Good news. The developer of the tech demo I posted a little bit ago has agreed to help us. Things are getting better and better. Very Happy
    Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs
    Official Conceptual Developer
    Official Conceptual Developer

Post by Maddey_Linqs Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 pm

wait. If he did that on the DSi then...
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:28 pm

@Adrian

Alright, if we're really going to delve into the 3rd Dimension, we're going to need Jeric Bryle Dy, a guy I know (At least sort of), who is currently producing a great looking Megaman Legends fan game. If we can get all the large fans of Megaman Legends, all of the current developers, me, you, skybane. As well as your friend, and jeric, we may just make this happen!

Video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VN2pmsxCz8&feature=player_embedded

Website here:
    http://www.jericbryledy.com/jerigames/rockmandashfangame

Just to let you know, I am still in favor of an RPG Maker VX adaptation rather than a 3D one Razz
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 pm

MaestroMaharg wrote:@Adrian

Alright, if we're really going to delve into the 3rd Dimension, we're going to need Jeric Bryle Dy, a guy I know (At least sort of), who is currently producing a great looking Megaman Legends fan game. If we can get all the large fans of Megaman Legends, all of the current developers, me, you, skybane. As well as your friend, and jeric, we may just make this happen!

Video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VN2pmsxCz8&feature=player_embedded

Website here:
    http://www.jericbryledy.com/jerigames/rockmandashfangame

Just to let you know, I am still in favor of an RPG Maker VX adaptation rather than a 3D one Razz

I sent him an email asking for his help. Hopefully he'll reply soon.
    Goldbott
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm thinking a complete solution such as Unity3d or ShiVa would be best, from there we'd need a decent group (3 to 5) talented 3d artists who are able to animate, and texture (UV mapping, normal mapping, ect.), which is not a small task, however I do remember seeing some talented 3d artists during the contest, maybe someone could contact them.
    Chaotic Chao
    Chaotic Chao
    Visitor
    Visitor

Male Posts : 13

Post by Chaotic Chao Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 pm

I voted that it should be similar to how Legends 3 was going to be, but I also voted 2d side scroller. I think combining the two might be a good idea.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 pm

It absolutely should be in the style of Legends 1, with the mechanics derived mainly from 2 and with some more new additions that would allow for expansion of the game—assuming we've already gotten to the point that we can actually make a regular Legends 1-style game to begin with! Once our team is ready, having taken the appropriate steps—such as developing prototypes and testing out the core, basic essentials needed to make the game enjoyable and functional—we can start making the game.

—That's how I see it, anyhow. Taking small, measured steps will allow our team to gain the expertise and experience needed to make the dream come true!
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:17 am

As much as I love my 16-bit era graphics I say we stick to 3D. It's harder but we need to remain faithful to the game.
    Mr.Jackpot
    Mr.Jackpot
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by Mr.Jackpot Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:27 pm

How can we call ourselves a Megaman Legends 3 project if it isn't even in 3D? We have to stay true to the game, even if it means more time and effort.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:42 pm

What we really need to do is go for the visual style that best fits Legends, and is still practical for our efforts. While I still think 3D is a given, our best bet, we'll need to do a lot of experimentation to nail down just the right evolution in visual style from the PS1 games.
    BlueLemming
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by BlueLemming Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 pm

WhiteBonne wrote:
    However, Game Maker is probably the best option program wise, even if it's not 2D

I highly suggest not using Game Maker for a 3D project. Especially for one as big as this. It may seem easy and smooth at first but once the files get big and the music gets added, it will take up a lot of memory and time to load up the game and overall just be frustrating to use. I have experienced that frustration. If you want to know what I mean by loading up the game, look up the grand theft auto 3D game that someone made a few years back. It took at least 10 minutes to load up and it was just 1 map and not even that big. Now imagine trying to test and debug something that you need to close, change the code, and then wait another 10 minutes for it to load.

As for the vote, it needs to be 3D graphics or else this really won't be taken seriously. If you guys are wanting this to be how Megaman Legends 3 should have been, it has to be 3D graphics and not 2D or RPG maker or whatever. But it looks like you've already decided it to be 3D.

And for the record, don't worry about making it for homebrew for the 3DS (for various, various reasons). Also don't bother making it virtually 3D, whether it's easy or not I don't know but if it's for the computer most people don't have 3D monitors and won't want to use those red/blue glasses, and it won't really be utilized if a lot of time is spent on it. More people want the game than the virtual 3D effects.

Just adding my 2 cents worth.
    Chaotic Chao
    Chaotic Chao
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Chaotic Chao Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 am

I personally think that this could go well in either 2d or 3d. I'm not sure how it would work in RPG Maker. And Game Maker seems like a bad choice since the loading times are often ridiculous and the game will probably lag a lot.

If it is in 2d, then I think that a lot-a LOT-of effort will probably need to be put into the project to make it look good and feel like Legends. If it's in 3d-which it probably will be in-It shouldn't be that hard to recreate the game, as long as it has similar controls and gimmicks. Also, games tend to lag quite a lot when they're in 3d, so hopefully that's not a problem.
    nikklament
    nikklament
    Official Multitasking Developer
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 47

Post by nikklament Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:09 am

I agree with going 3D. This is a serious project, not just some lazily-made fangame and we need to be taken seriously. Yes, it will be hard work, but it'll just be much more satisfying in the end, won't it? Also, RPG Maker simply wouldn't work. It's built around turn-based RPGs, and wouldn't be able to fit the Legends gameplay style.
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 59

Post by prince_david Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:46 am

I'd like to see us try and do it in 3D. We could use Microsoft XNA since you can use Direct X and 3D in there, also it is free and easy for everyone to pick up. Too bad we couldn't put it up on the Xbox live indie games page :-P
    OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 pm

prince_david wrote:I'd like to see us try and do it in 3D. We could use Microsoft XNA since you can use Direct X and 3D in there, also it is free and easy for everyone to pick up. Too bad we couldn't put it up on the Xbox live indie games page :-P
    We already decided on Unity3D. Sorry.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:32 pm

We needed a new Unity! It was necessary!
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 59

Post by prince_david Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Looks like a great 3D engine! Good choice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:42 pm