Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Maverinox
Virus111
General Specific
MaestroMaharg
jadzxa
9 posters

Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone?

jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone? Empty Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone?

Post by jadzxa Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Yeah kicking it off kind of fast here with my music and such. Here are 2 tracks I made for an oddly MML like game a couple of months ago. Both songs below follow the patterns with music flow like how they were made in MML2 in areas. They're both like meant for ruins locations hint the titles but more with water in mind.

Ruins of Cowda
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20Ruins%20of%20Cowda.mp3

Ruins of Cowda (Take down!) mini boss area like take. (fixed)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20Take%20down%21%20%28Ruins%20of%20Cowda%20Marsela%20and%20Duff%29.mp3

Let me know if you think they could fit anything. These are ideas so.

Last edited by jadzxa on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:52 am; edited 2 times in total
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone? Empty Re: Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone?

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Of course the names of the Ruins may change, as I'm sure you know. But as far as those tracks go, to be blatantly honest, with nothing held back. The first track is far too cheery and lighthearted for a ruin. In my opinion, this is more like what a ruin should sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYIubvO3eQ&feature=related

Behold, a track that could make a grown man soil his pants.
    What makes this track so great is the eerie feeling it gives you.

As far as the second track, I really like it, but not for Ruins, but rather for a Bonne battle. If that is what it were intended for, I applaud you.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone? Empty Re: Some tunes for ruins and battles anyone?

Post by jadzxa Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Hey any critiuqe is good on my part. Yeah the first tune was more suited for a water like area which carried mysterious artifacts and what not, as what I had in mind at the time. Thank you MML3>> but yeah I agree it's a tad cherry for a scary underground area.

I also agree A place nobody knows is a good one, but again I think it all depends on area and such, that song basically had you in an alien land with giant bots wanting your life XD but was suiting, so all in all I guess yeah it's all about location.

As for the second tune yes that is kind of what I was going for. If you could tell it was basically a rehash of the first one. I just placed into as I call it "Boss Mode" sorta like how they had it in MML2 during ruins when you run into boss fights during the runs and such.

Anyways though thanks for your feedback, I guess if I come up with anything else I'll be sure to let you guys know.

General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Let me lay down what I consider to be the guidelines for good ruin music.

—Atmosphere is key: focus on composing with the ruin in mind, and not just developing a melody for the sake of it. Say we had a factory ruin—let's say it's challenging, complex, and borders the line between calm and ominous. We can still have a melody in place (because melody is the one part of a music track that people are most likely to remember), but it needs to be developed correctly. Here's a good example of ruin music that I felt worked well at creating an ominous, musically-curious atmosphere that fit the context well.

This is a factory we're talking about—it has clanging machinery, which can provide material and food-for-thought regarding percussion. If I had to choose an instrument to do the lead part, I'd choose a bass clarinet for its low and brooding timbre. As you can see, there's a lot to think about here.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Yes I agree with what you're saying and you're right about the atmosphere of things being important. Which is a trait I take when creating my music, just mindlessly placing down melodies to fit with something won't get you good end results.

The tunes I've supplied here however, had a more "aquatic" ruin in mind with mystical things here and there. Also if you remember Nino Island ruins from MML2 it also carried a very jumpy effect in areas. But all in saying, the ruin tunes supplied here were for a more water based area, if you can't feel that when hearing them I'm sorry but others have.

I agree with the points and critique with things, but as far as music is to me. It's more painting a picture and envisioning it with the game play and such. Though I'm supplying these for free you guys can use them but yeah lol I understand where you're coming from.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:41 pm

It did sound like Nino Ruins to me—not really, as Nino never had that many arpeggios and activity to its music, but somewhat. Either way, I'll be glad to give critique in the future—it's a hobby of mine, one I take seriously.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Excellent look forward to your help in the future^^ and yeah it's not Nino but then it's suppose to be MML3 (erm non canon) but XD so hey yay for originality lol. I believe it's good to be on top of keeping sound in check though, you always want to make sure it fits the part for something.
    Virus111
    Virus111
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 19

Post by Virus111 Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:15 pm

I may be interesting in contributing music to the game as well. You can hear my EP here. I am starting at Colorado State University in just under a month, and I am majoring in computer science, so I will be learning how to program. If the project is still underway then, I will most likely be interested in contributing to that, if school life does not prove to be too much a challenge.
    Maverinox
    Maverinox
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 12

Post by Maverinox Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Megaman Legends 1 had incredible music. I loved it. It really put you in the mood, where ever you were. Definitely a good source to review
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Well I was gonna toss in the towel, but since my rage over capcoms doings is still great. I'll still toss up stuff to help out.

For some new stuff that could possibly help trigger things in game and such.

I made these tunes for that same game like thing but, maybe they could work out for a umm some kind of group.

We are the Elite! (Kind of inspired from the Bonnes tune a bit)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20We%20are%20the%20Elite%21.mp3

We are the Elite! (battle take 1)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20We%20are%20the%20Elite%21%20%28Fighting%20tune%201%29.mp3

I had some others but I'll wait lol don't wanna cram things up.

Also I gotta re up the other water like ruin links, but till then yeah just thought I'd toss up some more. I was gonna just fallout, but..Just to much to let go..at least this saves as some hope..as they stated..=_= fans weren't ever that involved lol what a world. As always though let me know what you think.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm

I like it—surprisingly bluesy, which works well for Legends, but it could use some better sample quality overall. This would work well for an intro sequence, the first one primarily.
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Since you haven't been promoted yet, I'd recommend heading over to the Recruitment thread and saying you'd like to help with music.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:27 pm

I like it—surprisingly bluesy, which works well for Legends, but it could use some better sample quality overall. This would work well for an intro sequence, the first one primarily.

Thanks a lot^^ yeah I'll work on the samples with things, it's pretty dated in areas but I'm sure with some looking around and more work that'd shape up in areas. Glad you enjoyed them.

Since you haven't been promoted yet, I'd recommend heading over to the Recruitment thread and saying you'd like to help with music.

Thanks! But I think I'll hang back here a little bit longer. XD I don't think I'm that ready yet. Glad you like what you're hearing though. But guess I'll think about it.

Edit: One other tune tossing out here. Had Mega Man Juno on mind in areas. Was made for a holy like figure.
    Theme of Key
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20theme%20of%20Key.mp3

I guess if I did join I'd toss up possible ideas or something, hmm guess I'll still think about it.
    Virus111
    Virus111
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 19

Post by Virus111 Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 am

I think I may be well suited to battle music? I'm mostly a rock musician, not electronic. XP
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:01 pm

lol it's good. I'm mostly electrical with things and moods come up and random crap just pops out.

Here are some other tunes I made. These have been used in some games I made, but thought they could help for some ideas somewhere.

(Alien like landscape) For those short little areas mostly.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20Island%20of%20the%20Wind%20Dragon.mp3

(Alien like landscape) - (Boss variation)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20Island%20of%20the%20Wind%20Dragon%20%28Outside%20%20Ruin%20Boss%20battle%29.mp3

(Deep Forest like area) Not to sure where this could work lol
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/forest%20theme%20cross.mp3
    foiden
    Lead Musician
    Lead Musician

Post by foiden Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Very cool. I'm back now that both more things have been discussed about the project and my power is back on from the latest east coast weather issues. Now with new stuff for the fridge, and a new method of entry, I'll definitely take more of a listen to the stuff here. Some rather good examples on this forum, some of which I think can be a fit. I did want to take some time to scour the forums to get a feel for what styles people are showing off as quite a few things could very well go together, on a scene by scene basis. Though, at this point, we're still at a fairly early stage, so I'm going on motifs I gather from score ideas on the project. Mostly ruins stuff and battle stuff. Thing is, quite a bit more can be used depending on the game length, and I did want to 1up the original Legends games, by providing more variety in Ruins music. Or at least, a larger amount of tunes. I want the different dungeons (per se) to feel different because the song changed for another one. One thing, if I could say, was a bit of a want after playing MM Legends 1 and seeing how some other games changed music more per various areas, and what it felt like. Good example of something recent I played, was Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, and the lovely way that going to a different area changed the music, and even if the gameplay and graphics weren't so different, the overall feel changed and felt like a breath of fresh air going between them.

And while I'll talk about others, soon, and make some early decisions, I'll have to say that the Wind Dragon example jumped out at me, right away. There may be a great opportunity to use something like that, in the project. I do know that I don't know the scenarios as of yet, as that's part of the writers function to relay that info, but something of a cold Wind nature just seems like a shoe-in for a MML3 scenario, somewhere.
    Olawale
    Olawale
    Official Conceptual Developer

Male Posts : 49

Post by Olawale Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 pm

I like how the “Ruins of Cowda” music invokes wonder in a positive way between 0:30-100, but if it’s supposed to be ruins with “mystical things here and there”, it should be slower, with those echoic sound effects of the Nino Ruins music. In general though, it’s good music.

“We are the Elite!” sounds more serious compared to the leitmotif of the Bonnes andf a little light-hearted at the same time, which I enjoy. “Fighting tune 1” sounds really cool and intense.

The “Alien Landscape Music” is really suspenseful and foretell of a mysterious and strong power that’s about to awaken; it also sounds like the unused Dr. Light capsule theme of Mega Man X5. I like how the boss variation sounds spooky; it would be a great boss theme for a ghost, zombie or other Halloween creature.

The “Deep Forest” music is just amazing! It sounds so out-of-this-world yet suits a floral area very well, especially at night. If Legends 3 had floral ruins like Legends 2’s Manda Ruins, “Deep Forest” should definitely be used for it.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks for the replies guys, glad you enjoyed the takes of those in areas. I agree on the ruins of cowda tune though for a more aquatic nature you'd want it more calm and relaxing sounding and slower paced I think. As for the wind dragon tune and others yeah thanks if you guys would like to use them or do any variations go for it. I'm just hopping off ideas so heh.

Btw Olawale very odd you mentioned a night segment with the forest tune. In the game I used that song in. I had it in mind for a night like location using the tune, so I guess I succeeded XD anyways thanks again guys.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Post by MaestroMaharg Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:27 pm

jadzxa wrote:lol it's good. I'm mostly electrical with things and moods come up and random crap just pops out.

Here are some other tunes I made. These have been used in some games I made, but thought they could help for some ideas somewhere.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/GCTT%20Island%20of%20the%20Wind%20Dragon%20%28Outside%20%20Ruin%20Boss%20battle%29.mp3

Man! Those are pretty cool! Maybe the Alien Landscapes seem a little *out of this world* for Megaman Legends... Wink
    But, I think the "Deep Forest" song would be a good fit for a character theme, like Bola and Claymoores', or Glyde; They all had themes... Sort of, at least.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 425

Post by LordGarza Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:36 am

MaestroMaharg wrote:
    jadzxa wrote:lol it's good. I'm mostly electrical with things and moods come up and random crap just pops out.

Man! Those are pretty cool! Maybe the Alien Landscapes seem a little *out of this world* for Megaman Legends... Wink
    But, I think the "Deep Forest" song would be a good fit for a character theme, like Bola and Claymoores', or Glyde; They all had themes... Sort of, at least.

Well, it's true the alien landscapes seem a little out of this world, but maybe if we get to the the actual MML3, it could be used as an introductory mission in the space for megaman. Maybe a mystery mission, because it also sounds a little obscure. Oh, and they are preety sweet tunes Smile
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:09 am

Wow so many thoughts about where this and that could go it's great lol. Deep forest is really getting some good hits here and there so if a theme or something go for it guys. As for the landscapes yeah guess it's pretty much set for like something dealing with space in some aspect. Honestly listening to it again the setting is pretty out there. Anyways though glad you guys like what you're hearing here and there.

Oh and kind of made this for fun.

A creepy version of the forest tune. Added like organs in areas and such.

Deep forest haunted version.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9308843/forest%20curse%20theme%20cross.mp3

Guess it could be used if there's a spooky tale or something going around about the location or something. Or just another part of it in general.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:13 am

I find it very good for it to be in an ice-themed ruin. If not, it can be used as a path between the main city and another important spot.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:08 am

An iced themed location? Hmm now hearing it over again I think that could work to in areas. Yeah when I made it originally it was for a creepy part of that forest like theme or more a cursed location. Though yeah I agree it could work as a pathway between locations and such. Glad you liked it^^

Olawale
    Olawale

Male Posts : 49

Post by Olawale Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 am

LordGarza wrote:I find it very good for it to be in an ice-themed ruin. If not, it can be used as a path between the main city and another important spot.

I agree. It would be even better if the ice-themed ruins were haunted to match the eery sounds of jadzxa's amazing new spooky rendition of his already awesome forest music, which sounds a little bit like the second theme of Frost Walrus' stage of Mega Man X4.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Glad you both agree with me. A dark-iced ruin theme... That would be an excellent idea for the game, and could make ruin designers work along with this songs, to plan the ruin and which creepy or strange reaverbots could be added or created.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content