Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
Steffie
Dashe
MaestroMaharg
nikklament
omegaprime02
prince_david
Mikey
KarasuShiro
WhiteBonne
lunargoblin
PixelSprite
Goldbott
DJ-P0N3
Maddey_Linqs
Edich
smalltrouble
OniLink++
Adrian2040
HBV-05-E Raiden
LegendMan
rekka_zan
General Specific
26 posters

How did everyone first become interested in Legends?

General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

How did everyone first become interested in Legends? Empty How did everyone first become interested in Legends?

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:23 am

—I'm going to ask an honest question here: what, why, how did each of us become interested in this series in the franchise? Did you play it as a kid? Were you desperate for a new MM game after Universe was canceled? Are these questions creeping you out?

I played Legends 1 for the first time several years ago—since then, I've always been interested in the series, enticed by its Metroid-like game structure and endless flow of charm and style.
    rekka_zan
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

How did everyone first become interested in Legends? Empty Re: How did everyone first become interested in Legends?

Post by rekka_zan Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:39 am

The first I played was MML2. I played it because... because it was Megaman.
    LegendMan
    LegendMan
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 11

How did everyone first become interested in Legends? Empty Re: How did everyone first become interested in Legends?

Post by LegendMan Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:55 am

I had always been a fan of the regular Megaman series so I was always on the look out for more. I was at this family owned video game rental store that was one of the only places you could get video games where I lived and within their collection of PS1 games was Megaman Legends, this is also how I would go about getting Legends 2 also.
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 am

X4 and MML were my first two Megaman Games, and while X4 ingrained my love for the X series and its charms an story (pfft), MML sucked me in with those horrifying ruins and cheery everything else.

Oh god, those ruins.

AND THAT'S WHY I'D DRY HUMP A REAVERBOT.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:03 am

I made a thread about ruin design in the Gameplay discussion forum, btw. Ruins are definitely one of the fascinating parts of the series that has kept me interested, mainly because of their enormous potential.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:04 am

I played the 2 of them as a kid and I liked it. I basically played them once a year. I also managed to get the spin off at some point (A point where it costed A LOT of money).

Each time I understood it more and more. The reason is because English is not my first language. SURPRISE!

But don't worry about it. I've studied enough English to get an A* in IGCSE English First Language Exam and in the FCE exam. In other words, I'm qualified to TEACH English! And due to my life style, I use the English language more than I use my native language.
    OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:25 am

Megaman Legends was the first game I ever played. I was 4 or 5, and just got a playstation. The demo for Croc 2 that came with it was incredibly boring to me, and didn't really count as a game since it was just a demo. We went to the game store, and being a little kid who knew nothing, I picked Megaman Legends because the main character was blue. I love the color blue. I'm so glad I was dumb enough to make that my reasoning, the game was incredible. A few years later, my brother went into Hollywood video or some other video store and saw Megaman Legends 2 on the shelf near the front. When he came back out, he told me, and I immediately rushed in, begging my mom to buy it. I still haven't beaten it, I've only gotten to the Saul Kada Ruins. That gigantic reaverbot in the middle is a menace.
    smalltrouble
    smalltrouble
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 36

Post by smalltrouble Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:59 am

I played MM2 for the first time about 5 years ago and I loved it ever since. Just three years ago I bought the first one and loved it just the same. So when I heard the third one was cancelled I was quite sad as I had been looking forward for a third one for so long but then I came here and was happy again.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 am

I grew up on Classic Megaman as a kid. I got Legends for my ninth birthday(so a year after it's initial release, I think) along with Ape Escape and Digimon World. All three were amazing games, but it definitely stood out the most. It's been tied as my favorite series along with Earthbound ever since.

I still remember my exact reasoning for wanting the game.

"I get to play as Megaman without a helmet!"

Seriously, that was the only reason. Ah, youth.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 am

Crikey—I loved Ape Escape and especially Digimon World growing up. This is a small world!
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:21 am

Good times, right?

I always sort of gloss over the playstation era in favor of the SNES but it had it's amazing childhood memories, too.
    rekka_zan
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 am

Good times, definitely. While what shaped my childhood gaming was NES (I never owned a SNES), PSX era was what shows me a whole new level of gaming I never knew before.
    Megaman X4 was one of those games, and what made love Megaman so much. Too bad not many of my friends are Megaman fans. Probably because it's difficulty, especially MMX and MMZ.
    Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs
    Official Conceptual Developer

Post by Maddey_Linqs Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I remember after completing MML1 me and my friend made a pen and paper game based off this, It was so ridiculous though that involved Egypt.

Being a constant gamer of MM3 on the Famicom where I went as far as scribbled passwords of my achievments on the living room walls, and drooling over the video demo (which came with Parappa, Gex, Resident Evil, etc. forgot the name of that disk) when I first recieved my PSX, I bought it the minute it was present on local stores. Even bought DASH 2 despite not knowing what language it was... I never finished DASH 2 though...almost everything felt foreign until I received the localized/english version.
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:08 am

I played it when it first came out, making me 7 or so at the time. Fell in love with it. The aesthetics, the characters, everything. Plus Roll was my first (and only) virtual crush.....so there's that.

It's just a great game that deserves a 3rd installment.
    Goldbott
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 am

I remember getting the first and second games for Christmas the year I got my PS2, I played the game for hours heh, but since I lost the second game I didn't actually complete it till years later I was lucky enough to find one at a gamestop locally, I had seen the price of the game online and I didn't think I'd ever play it but there it was.

I was exited for the new installment, but to be honest it never felt real to me since they never really added anything solid, new characters, a few contests, but no real storyline info or even much word on the blue bomber himself.
    PixelSprite
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Female Posts : 205

Post by PixelSprite Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Years ago, there was this weird N64 game with a blue kid on it at Rogers. I really wanted to rent a game, so I went with that one. I failed miserably at it. But the seed was planted and I've since bought MM64 and beaten it and enjoyed it very much.
    lunargoblin
    lunargoblin
    Normal User
    Normal User

Male Posts : 33

Post by lunargoblin Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:26 am

I grew up on Mega Man as a kid back in the NES/SNES days, and at some point in my childhood I rented MegaMan 64...and loved it. That led me to purchase the original on the PSX (as I was always a bigger PSX fan, I just didn't know the game was originally on it) and I purchased the second game as soon as I could. The sheer charm of the game and characters is what makes me love it to this day. I swear, without the characters and dialogue, this series wouldn't have aged so well in my opinion.
    WhiteBonne
    WhiteBonne
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by WhiteBonne Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:43 pm

I think it wasn't until MM8 that I really got into the blue bomber, since we didn't buy all that many games before (but I had played them). Sometime after MML1 came out and I loved it. Mainly because I was a huge Zelda fan and MML is very reminiscent of it.
    KarasuShiro
    KarasuShiro
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 24

Post by KarasuShiro Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:39 pm

I've encountered megaman by the 2nd mega' game on NES, i was young back then and never managed to finish it, but i loved the game anyway. i've played some of them, including X episodes. i was interested by legends , especially the "adventure" part with an megaman looking better (my opinion, i dont like his helmet XD) but never had the chance to find it in stores, nor legends 2...with the announce of legends 3 on 3ds i was happy to have a chance to finally get one (even if that meant buy a crappy 3ds) but well, you know the story i guess... But what made me get closer to legends is the devroom contest i participated with Ben Pilotti who i helped a little to make Chip XD
    Mikey
    Mikey
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 49

Post by Mikey Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:33 pm

My story's quite intriguing, actually. Way back before I could properly read, my parents bought a playstation, and a handful of random games. My two favorite games out of the bunch were Action Man and Megaman Legends. I remember beating both games, and I also enjoyed both as well. Any time there's a 3D action-adventure game, it reminds me of Legends, but anyway.

One day the games just disappeared and I never saw them again. Someone in my family, most likely my older brother, sold the games for no apparent reason. I had never been so ticked off. And even now today? I'm even MORE ticked off about it! But it's obvious that nobody's gonna remember because they were just "really old playstation games" in their eyes. I still have the playstation. Might as well have sold that too, but whatever.

Anyway, after the game was sold, Legends disappeared from my mind for a while. It wasn't until my Senior year in High School (October 2010) that I randomly typed in "Megaman Legends" into youtube and came across an LP by a gamer who goes by the name of Darkkefka. He had his video linked to Megaman Legends Universe. On those boards, I met someone by the name of Anima. We discovered we had a lot in common, and had fun doing a few 2-person RPs.

Some time at the end of November, or at the beginning of December, she asks me if I've considered joining Legends Station. With a little reassurance, I joined. Plenty of awesome people there, and a bit more interactive what with the iScribble sessions we have every weekend. Since then, I had watched the Devroom build up, then get knocked down, causing this forum to be born. I was directed here by the DJ Pony.

Glad to be here too. ^_^
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 59

Post by prince_david Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:38 pm

I have been a fan of the original Mega Man for years, starting with Mega Man 2. I always remained a fan, but stuck to the main series. I never got a SNES til I was much older so I kind of faded out from it. This year I wanted to get bvack into it, got the Mega Man X remake for PSP. Then I heard about Legends 3 being cancelled, saw the video that Dashe from Legends Stations made about it, and decided that I needed to see what this game was all about. Everyone was so passionate about it and I wanted to be a part of it. I now own a new copy of Mega Man 64 and I am currently playing through it and really enjoying it. It combines one of my favorite series of all time, Mega Man, and brings it into a fun action-RPG kind of world. I love the music (always a good thing in Mega Man games), the characters, and how I can interact with EVERYTHING in the world, even some random painting in the mayor's office. How many RPGs let you look at everything like that?
    omegaprime02
    omegaprime02

Male Posts : 35

Post by omegaprime02 Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 am

...Well...Ummm...my dad got me into it, he got MML for me as a Christmas present because he thought it looked like something I'd like.
    I did.
    A lot.
    nikklament
    nikklament

Male Posts : 47

Post by nikklament Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

I first picked up Mega Man Legends and Brave Fencer Musashi a few days after the new EB Games opened in my town in 1999. The only exposure to Mega Man I had before was the Ruby-Spears Mega Man cartoon, and I expected Legends to be like it. It turned out be be MUCH better than any game I had ever played at the time (although I was still new to gaming). Later I also picked up Mega Man 8, Mega Man X4, Mega Man X5, Mega Man Legends 2 and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (which was only 14 dollars at the time!). Legends 1 still holds a place in my heart to this day and is still my favorite game on the PlayStation.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 pm

I was 6 years old.
    Two things I liked a lot were...

3 Dimensional Video-Games
    and Megaman...

you do the math...
    However, as I played the game more and more, it became more than simply a "3D Megaman" to me. It became my favorite game ever!
    Dashe
    Dashe
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Female Posts : 120

Post by Dashe Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:03 pm

My cousin showed me Legends 1 when we were pretty small.
    I didn't much like Ruby Spears, but Legends was a ball.
    A month went by. I borrowed it and kept it for that summer.
    I beat the game on all three modes. Returned it. What a bummer.

I didn't think that game caught on with other kids I knew,
    So I was quite elated to hear word of Legends 2.
    And that's not all! Tron's game was out! I picked that up that day.
    It was great to have more Legends games and Reaverbots to slay!
    Then Christmas came. Wow, Legends 2! Thank you, Mom and Dad!
    I popped it in and flashed a grin, and hey, it wasn't bad!

It took a while, but finally, I finished Legends 2.
    But with that dang cliffhanger, I wholeheartedly knew
    They couldn't leave it hanging, so, as you can plainly see,
    That after that I had to wonder. Where IS Legends 3?

I popped up on the internet some time in mid-'04,
    And found myself loitering around Legends Station's door.
    Of all the sites I'd found back then, that one was the best.
    I hung around there off and on (I think you know the rest).

So that's about what brought me here to work on Legends 3.
    If not for that, I'm sure I'd be off somewhere watching Glee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 am