Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
prince_david
General Specific
LordGarza
PhantomKirin
8 posters

What programming language should we use?

PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 44

What programming language should we use? Empty What programming language should we use?

Post by PhantomKirin Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:43 pm

I figure that this would be a valid question, all things considered, and personally speaking, I would recommend Python, due to its ease of use and the fact that it's the language that Blender, a free 3D modeling and animation software program, is based on. Any thoughts?
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 425

What programming language should we use? Empty Re: What programming language should we use?

Post by LordGarza Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 am

Sorry, but Unity3d has already been selected for developing things, and I'm not sure, but I think we'll use C#
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

What programming language should we use? Empty Re: What programming language should we use?

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:11 am

We've been thinking of both C++ and C# to use with Unity.
    PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by PhantomKirin Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 am

Oh, I see...

May I ask what Unity3d is, precisely, and where can I obtain it?

Edit: Also, how much does it cost, because I tend to shy away from programs that are too pricey...
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:06 am

The basic package is free, but the Pro package is at $1500—of course, that's the real deal. Unity3D is a general development tool for games, and I'll need to get it myself to start designing stuff.
    PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by PhantomKirin Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 am

Gahhhh!!! $1500?!? Damnit!

...this is why I would rather use Blender and Python, because the full system is free, no questions asked. Granted, I did note that Unity does have some things that Blender...

...oh wait, it says that it has a program that can translate a .blend file into something that Unity can actually read. Fancy that...

Last edited by PhantomKirin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 am

I just booted up my Unity client—just got it registered—and, man, it can do all the things we'll need, provided we can get programming with C# on a roll, and get assets made as well.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 am

So it means that people can use their favourite programs with the condition that it can merge into unity3D, right?
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:43 am

Blender seems to be quite popular, and understandably so. We also have programmers that can use C#, which is a good start as well.
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 am

I'll try to learn some of this at school, so I can actually help a little in this section. Right now I'm as lost as Trigger in the space...
    PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by PhantomKirin Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 am

Apparently, it can import from almost any 3d modeling and animation program...

Here, I'll point you to the web site, so you can see for yourself...

...sorry, guys. The board somehow smacked me on the head for trying... Twice...

Edit: Hey, GS. Is posting a link considered TOS violation or something, since the board is autoblocking them?

2nd Edit: Oh, I see. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by PhantomKirin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:50 am

Yeah, I know it, you must type the URL by yourself :/

BTW, you should enlist yourself for duty my friend (entering the recruitment topic and saying what will you do) ;D
    PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by PhantomKirin Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 am

...It stopped me again...

I better get on it on another day...

LordGarza
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 am

just put the link, but DON'T touch the LINK button, It may work like that....
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 59

Post by prince_david Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm

I am looking forward to trying out this Unity engine.
    unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/VisualStudioIntegration.html here is some documentation on getting Unity 3D to integrate with Visual Studio, which I love using. You all can get Visual Studio Express for free, it's a great tool if you haven't used it before.

Would there be any advantage to using C++ over C#? I know usually you have a lower level of control with C++, but I am much more comfortable working within C# right now as it's been years since I used C++.
    OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

prince_david wrote:I am looking forward to trying out this Unity engine.
    unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/VisualStudioIntegration.html here is some documentation on getting Unity 3D to integrate with Visual Studio, which I love using. You all can get Visual Studio Express for free, it's a great tool if you haven't used it before.

Would there be any advantage to using C++ over C#? I know usually you have a lower level of control with C++, but I am much more comfortable working within C# right now as it's been years since I used C++.
    I don't think you can use C++ with Unity3D.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 pm

You can use C# and Boo, and that's all I remember.
    OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 pm

General Specific wrote:You can use C# and Boo, and that's all I remember.
    You can also use Javascript.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:01 pm

That too, lol. C# will be more powerful for what we need to do, though.
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by prince_david Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Javascript is a little too loose from my experiences. C# should be easy enough for anyone to learn here that hasn't used it before.
    PhantomKirin
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by PhantomKirin Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 am

...even a complete neophyte such as I?

By the by, I got the free version of Unity and played the demo that came with it... I'm going to need to be trying my hand on this for a good long bit before I can contribute with it...
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by prince_david Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:20 pm

You'll pick it up Kirin. There are a lot of great tutorials online. Code samples, plus you have a lot of built in functions & classes to make life easy.
    omegaprime02
    omegaprime02
    Official Conceptual Developer
    Official Conceptual Developer

Male Posts : 35

Post by omegaprime02 Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:30 am

prince_david wrote:Javascript is a little too loose from my experiences. C# should be easy enough for anyone to learn here that hasn't used it before.

Quick question, how closely does it resemble C++ and TorqueScript? Those are the two languages I have used extensively.
    prince_david
    prince_david
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by prince_david Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Its like C++ but you don't need to directly manage the memory allocation yourself. Everything that is passed around, is passed around as a pointer except for the primitives like ints and such (although you can pass those by reference if you like)
    Leonel
    Leonel
    Official Multitasking Developer
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 68

Post by Leonel Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:08 pm

I've had unity installed for a while, time to get my hands dirty and learn more about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 am