Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
PhantomKirin
Virus111
Nightgazer13
Rockman Striker
DJ-P0N3
Edich
smalltrouble
Quickdraw
MaestroMaharg
HBV-05-E Raiden
General Specific
15 posters

Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion Empty Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Gentlemen! It's time to talk about our favorite, ruin-prowling machines of metal and, well more metal!

Reaverbots are the primary opponents the player will face in a Legends game, being encountered primarily in ruins and sometimes in other venues (—I.E. the Sub Cities in Legends 1). They are of many different sizes, shapes, routines, armaments, blah blah blah. And they are very important for ruin design and providing challenge and pacing to a mission and/or a ruin, in general. It is vital that we get these guys right—it's absolutely encouraged that we up the ante on Reaverbot design and do what the developers have failed to do before us: expand on how the player fights Reaverbots. This is an open discussion—I'll set a topic for us, though.

—Which Reaverbots from the last three Legends games should we consider bringing back for our project?

Last edited by General Specific on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 174

Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion Empty Re: Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Well, there was that one poll with the 6 or so Reaverbots that won. I'd need to look around for it though, unless you've found it already.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion Empty Re: Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Reaverbot Re-vival Contest—look'zit up at the Devroom, if you can spare me the effort. I've got more posts to make!
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:19 pm

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/05/23/presenting_our_reaverbot_reave-ival_selections#comments

1st (Japan and US): Gorubesshu
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml1/rvr-gorubeshu
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml2/rvr-golbesh

2nd (Japan and US): Mimic
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml1/rvr-mimic
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml2/rvr-mimic

3rd (Japan): Firushudot
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml1/rvr-firushudot

3rd (US): Poh
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml2/rvr-poh

Special Selection (Japan): Arukoitan
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml1/rvr-arukoitan
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml1/rvr-orudakoitan
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=motb/rvr-arukoitan
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=motb/rvr-orudakoitan
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=motb/rvr-koltjeepkoitan

Special Selection (US): Mandomantal
    http://www.legends-station.com/?page=mml2/rvr-mandomantal

I gave the links for all the koitans, just to be complete.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm going to bring something to the table here:

—While there will definitely be Reaverbots found in all ruins, being the bread and butter of the main Reaverbot forces, different contexts will inevitably require different types of Reaverbots. A factory-themed Reaverbot is more likely to pump out its own little minions, getting in your way—it's all built around the theme of the awakening/awakened facility you're exploring. This is definitely something to keep in mind.
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:50 pm

It similar to what I said in the other thread, really. After all, in other games, there were mechaniloids and viruses designed for certain areas, and Reaverbots have been no different.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Well—there it is. It's important to tie in Reaverbot design to ruin design, as such, as the two really do complement each other.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Post by MaestroMaharg Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:07 am

So, are we going to have another contest where we can design a Reaverbot?
    please, please, please, please!
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    HBV-05-E Raiden
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by HBV-05-E Raiden Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 am

Actually, all of us might design some more Reaverbots. Although, if we get too many, we could do a quick in-house vote.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:17 am

just a suggestion, but we could just put up a poll with each reaverbot that everyone designs, for which one your favorite is, and then the top 5 or 10 with the most amount of votes make it into the game...
    Quickdraw
    Official Multitasking Developer

Post by Quickdraw Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:41 am

I guess. But I feel it would be better to look through the submissions cast in the previous reaverbot event first, before we move onto adding MORE reaverbots in.
    I understand that some of us may be eager to put things into the game, but you have to understand that it's simply not too good an idea to add to a product unless we REALLY HAVE TO.
    From what I know, the previous dev team has already gotten this nailed down, so we should focus on building onto what they have already established.
    smalltrouble
    smalltrouble
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 36

Post by smalltrouble Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:19 am

We only need to remember that each Reaverbot will need to be unique in some way so you're not fighting the same old junk everywhere. When the ruins are being designed we need to have places where Reaverbots have advantages on the player so that needs to go into the desgin of a Reaverbot. We could add our own Reaverbots but if we put in so much with no purpose the variety will be plain and the player could lose interest in the Reaverbots due to them having no unique purpose.
    Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 am

smalltrouble wrote:We only need to remember that each Reaverbot will need to be unique in some way so you're not fighting the same old junk everywhere. When the ruins are being designed we need to have places where Reaverbots have advantages on the player so that needs to go into the desgin of a Reaverbot. We could add our own Reaverbots but if we put in so much with no purpose the variety will be plain and the player could lose interest in the Reaverbots due to them having no unique purpose.

Agreed. I think we can actually do with the older reaverbots from L1 and L2, maybe taking liberties with their placement in the ruins, as SmallTrouble suggested. At this point in time, I don't see much of a need for newer Reaverbots unless it's absolutely necessary- e.g Ruin bosses, etc.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:52 am

I'll second that bosses and mid-bosses should be our focus for new reaverbot designs as of now, and that we should keep to what's already been proposed in the thread General linked up above and what has been submitted to the Devroom's reaverbot contest. I will say that I've seen quite a few interesting typical/fodder reaverbot fan-concepts, though, so we shouldn't rule them out completely.

As far as the classic and typical reaver's go, adding variety to positioning, group formations, and movesets should be considered. Just placing a reaverbot in a favorable(for the reaverbot) location isn't really enough in my opinion. With those improvements, they could be deadly and unique anywhere. Of course, terrain is still something to work with.
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:14 pm

I PM'd Nicklas over at the devroom as I'm sure his assistance would be a great asset, however I don't know him and have no better way of getting in contact with him. If anyone actually has some kind of rapport with the guy than it'd be great if you could ask for his help.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:41 pm

I look at Reaverbot selection differently.

The Reaverbots in Legends 1 worked because they were distinct, were well-designed and, because there were so few of them, they were easy to remember. Many, many more Reaverbots got made for the second game, but they diluted the overall selection and, because they were either more boring or more specialized, you forgot them more easily. Context-centric Reaverbots can be made more interesting by making the context (and the Reaverbots!) interesting—using ruin design as a way to maximize the number of crazy things we could be doing with that ruin's context-specific Reaverbots would hope tremendously.

Generally, while I think some new multi-context Reaverbots would be good additions to the current fan favorite multi-context Reaverbots—those that will appear in all ruins—mostly Legends 1, and a few Legends 2, Reaverbots would be good picks to keep. The trick is not to add too much more at all—maximizing what we can do with a limited number of Reaverbots, old and new, will make them more memorable and force our designers to make smart decisions under these restrictions.

As for Niklas: we should do our god-damn best to get him in as an Artist, if it means having a great designer (overall!) who can really nail Reaverbot design. I 'aint even kiddin'!
    Rockman Striker
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I agree with everything commented before, one important thing about reaverbots is that they all have their own "ecosystems" and behavior, some are found in groups (in some cases in just one ruin) while others are solitary, what will take more attention is what kind of reaverbots the player will face on certain areas. There will be a mayor impact with not too many well designed and programmed reaverbots than a lot of simple reaverbots just walking at the player.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:17 pm

i have invited someone who was creating a Megaman Legends fan-game to come join us...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yareare#p/u
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 pm

My oh my—air-dashing and double jumping galore. I'm always impressed by the Brazilian folk.

@RS: Absolutely—that plays into AI, which will be probably the trickiest thing to nail with Reaverbots. And, boy, I could go on about enemy AI.
    Rockman Striker
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:34 pm

So when are we starting to bring designs for new reaverbots? I bet everyone here have at least 2 or 3 ready to show.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:40 pm

You can bring 'em into the room at any time, man. I have my own ideas, but I can't sketch them without someone else doing it for me—so nothing from me yet, I 'spose.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:39 am

@GenSpec

I can't say you'd be entirely happy with the results, but if you'd want to Message me some of your ideas, I could draw a few sketches.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:10 pm

I know you made some of your own ideas and concept sketches back in the day, but we do have a growing team of artists here—I can go to other guys for sketches as well.
    DJ-P0N3
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:53 pm

here's a doodle I made when I woke up. Right now I'm torn between 2D visual development (what I'm good at) or learning 3D modeling, but either way, here's a hippo-bot

Reaverbot Design and Concept(s) Discussion 10711ua
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:57 pm

For the record: I generally don't favor animal-deriviative Reaverbot designs, instead favoring the more alien, vague, functional and efficient forms of the Legends 1 Reaverbots. We can make plenty of animal-derivative Reaverbot designs all day and exhaust loads of possibilities, but many fans loved how odd and unsettling the more abstract designs in Legends 1 were, as opposed to those in Legends 2.

Take, for example, the winning design of Event 4: it was practically a lightening tower, developing an ominous cloud around the flared portion at the top. You can see what it is—life given to something previously non-organic and living, which creates curiosity in the player. That's just one of many examples, of course. Either, you're getting a good start on sketching and getting a feel for the ornamental kinks of Reaverbot design—I, of course, want to get down to the nitty-gritteh.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm