Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+76
megabust99
SageChaozu
Suda
Krotar
TronBonne
Gh0st
Bronzedragon316
The High Paladin
arslath
Zetta
Thanatos-Zero
PooJ1277
Leonel
Eien ni Mugen
HalcyonDays
QuietlyThinking
Infernite
Speculator
KokO
NotUnknown
ChromaColors
aoi820
omegaprime02
PhantomKirin
T3GZdev
Sander
CX-10
int
RaphaelRobo
Mikey
afreaknperson
prince_david
jadzxa
LordGarza
Rockman Striker
nikklament
SeeFly
lunargoblin
darkxcalibur
ONLYUSEmeFEET
PixelSprite
Nicktendonick
omareen
Ore-sama
Dollow
Steve
ThorkellTheTall
KarasuShiro
CmonMrBlue
Ben-Hur Pilotti
megaman093
Quickdraw
smalltrouble
Maverinox
WhiteBonne
KayneArgand
LegendMan
ign0to
Mr.Jackpot
ValorCrash
OniLink++
Edich
0Dash0
TypingWithMyDix
rekka_zan
HBV-05-E Raiden
foiden
Virus111
Truner
Jesse
DJ-P0N3
General Specific
Maddey_Linqs
Skybane Zero
MaestroMaharg
Adrian2040
80 posters

Recruitment Center

The High Paladin
    The High Paladin
    Visitor
    Visitor

Male Posts : 8
    Location : Wherever you are, I shall naught be but far behing, calmly eating my hot plate of only the freshest slices of soup-fillet, whilst casually stalking you.

Recruitment Center - Page 7 Empty Re: Recruitment Center

Post by The High Paladin Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Hello, there! I am the High Paladin, here to apply for Designing, Writing, and Visuals! If you want to see some of my work, feel free to look here:

Writing/Visuals:

The writing in this link is the post which is completely original lore of the planet Kaldeon and some of the surrounding areas. It's something I came up with on-the-fly when I decided to post up my texture pack for Minecraft.
    Now the visuals would be the Texture pack itself. I'm currently working on a 32x HD texture pack (Which I think looks much better).

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/808389-16x100-kaldeonv13/page__p__10441987__fromsearch__1#entry10441987

If you want to see other examples of writing, I have several things I can show. ;D

Now, for the designing.
    The following images are older ones, back when Maya was free and I was using it. I'm now using Blender.

Spoiler:

Oh, I also have copies of the Original, X, Zero, ZX, and Legends Source Books. Very Happy
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:44 pm

With Designing we mean Level/Overworld/Ruin and Gameplay Design.

With Visuals we meant both 2D and 3D Design. (So your sword could be used as an example in your portfolio) We are looking for texture design, but I'm not sure how Minecraft textures can be used as a good example when it comes to proving your skills.

Would you be so kind as to give us more appropriate and direct examples of your skills and talents?
    The High Paladin
    The High Paladin
    Visitor
    Visitor

Location : Wherever you are, I shall naught be but far behing, calmly eating my hot plate of only the freshest slices of soup-fillet, whilst casually stalking you.

Post by The High Paladin Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Ah, alright. I guess I'm applying for Visuals and writing, then. Very Happy
    On the Visuals side of things, I discovered that my old Maya models won't work in Blender. (I thought they were supposed to. o.O) And that I have no idea how to texture in Blender.

I made a new model to try and texture, it was made with F-Zero in mind. It looks like this untextured:

https://i.imgur.com/nlzll.png
    https://i.imgur.com/PCwu2.png

I figured out how to load textures to Blender, but not how to put them on the model. x.x

So I'm good on the modeling part, and the 2D making, but not the putting them together part.

Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:38 pm

Well, Paladin, this project is geared to be as much of a learning experience as it is a serious attempt at a game so don't worry too much. And you've certainly showed a lot more experience than some. I'd love to have you on the team.

It's not my final call, of course, but I'm pretty sure you'll get in, just stay active when you do.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 pm

The most important I recommend to you is to always be active with us and ready to contribute to our long-term goals on the Project. Being able to do texture design puts you in a good position within the 2D and 3D departments, as we'll need to texture-map our models and environments within the Unity engine and that takes people! You have a good deal of experience with producing assets already, and the developers we need the most now are those that can produce concepts and work with the various departments to help finalize what will be produced for use in-game.
    PixelSprite
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Female Posts : 205

Post by PixelSprite Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:28 pm

I hate to make this comment, but that F-Zero inspired model looks like you took a basic UV sphere and modified it. I would like to see a more advanced model, preferably made almost from scratch, before I'd say you were "good on the modelling part." Your Maya models look a bit better, though. If I say 'topology' or 'extrude', would you know what I meant?

Again, I didn't want to make this comment, but it's a concern I had.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Not that I know enough modeling terminology to corroborate his claims on how it was modeled, but it didn't look very F-Zero-inspired to begin with, resembling some sleek starship hull more than an angular, aerodynamic hockey puck with a cockpit.
    The High Paladin
    The High Paladin
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by The High Paladin Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:44 pm

PixelSprite wrote:I hate to make this comment, but that F-Zero inspired model looks like you took a basic UV sphere and modified it.

That's basically what that is. I'm using that as a base while I make other parts around it, so it keeps the same general shape.

PixelSprite wrote:I would like to see a more advanced model, preferably made almost from scratch, before I'd say you were "good on the modelling part." Your Maya models look a bit better, though.

When you say 'almost made from scratch', do you mean no basing it off of anything else, or using more then one mesh?

PixelSprite wrote:If I say 'topology' or 'extrude', would you know what I meant?

Nope. xD I'm still new to Blender, and I never really explored Maya that much. Though I think I've seen the 'Extrude' thing around, but never checked to see what it does.

PixelSprite wrote:Again, I didn't want to make this comment, but it's a concern I had.

Fully understandable. You want the best (Or close enough). If I fail to meet the requirements, I'll simply get better and come right on back. >Very Happy

General Specific wrote:Not that I know enough modeling terminology to corroborate his claims on how it was modeled, but it didn't look very F-Zero-inspired to begin with, resembling some sleek starship hull more than an angular, aerodynamic hockey puck with a cockpit.

F-Zero-inspired meaning a floating futuristic ship used for racing. :p
    F-Zero ships tend to be flatter, and their details more spread out then hunched together.

If you ever want an example of something, just ask. I might ask about specifics before starting anything, though. don't wanna waste anyone's time. :3
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

I know what an F-Zero ship looks like, and I was joking about the average appearance of an F-Zero vessel in that last statement. Anyhow, it's good to know you're active with these software suites.
    PixelSprite
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Post by PixelSprite Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:00 pm

I should clarify. First, your second Blender picture doesn't seem to work, so I'm only going by the first one. By almost from scratch I mean more than simple manipulations of primitives (cube, sphere, tube, etc...) in edit mode, such as at least being able to add vertices. That's why I mentioned extrude, it's 'e' in edit mode, by the way. Keeping things in one mesh isn't that important (things can be more organized if you don't, in fact).

Thank you for understanding.
    The High Paladin
    The High Paladin
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by The High Paladin Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:52 pm

I looked around to see how I could add vertices, but couldn't find it. D: I did however play with Extrude Individual on a simple cube:

Spoiler:

EDIT: I was looking around the forums, seeing what interested me, when I saw something about Blender Cookie, so I looked it up and found it was for the current version of Blender. Yay!

That's the reason I didn't know much. All the tutorials I found were for older versions, where things weren't in the same place and stuff. I'mma watch these vids 'n' come back later. Very Happy

EDIT2: Watched 6 of the 7 'getting started' vids. (Don't think I need to know how to download and install it. ;P) Going to bed now and watching more tomorrow.
    Bronzedragon316
    Bronzedragon316
    Visitor
    Visitor

Male Posts : 2

Post by Bronzedragon316 Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:54 am

Sorry if this was answered already, I'm really tired and I really don't feel like reading 11 pages but...

When you say Audio do you mean Voice Acting under that? or Music?
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:55 am

Music and SFX. We're too early in development to attempt VA recruitment.
    Bronzedragon316
    Bronzedragon316
    Visitor
    Visitor

Male Posts : 2

Post by Bronzedragon316 Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 am

All right then, thanks for the quick reply, ill check in every few weeks and check up on it, Love that you guys are doing this btw, When you are starting VA recruitment ill be sure to send a sample.
    Gh0st
    Gh0st
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 17

Post by Gh0st Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 am

I'm currently majoring in Information Technology (Not sure how that helps) but I know C++ and HTML. I don't know enough c++ to write anything crazy from scratch but i can piece together blocks of code and i understand how they work. I have done some simple graphic design (can post links if you wish) and am a very avid IRC user. Idk if you guys have a IRC server or chan, but if not i would be more than happy to make one for the project. I guess what i'm trying to say is I'm not a master in anything just another willing and able person. Excited
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:19 am

Well, we have what's called a Multi-tasking Developer, which is a developer that does a little bit of everything and just hops around and makes sure things are running smoothly. We don't have many active, atm, and I'm sure Leonel could use the help if you want to apply for that.

Also, we do have an IRC channel already, it's mostly just used for weekly meetings, but we're hoping it gets more frequent use in the future.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=projectlegends&uio=d4
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:50 pm

We could really use programmers with experience in the Boo language, a Unity 3D-centric platform based off of Python. Our programming team is the weakest team working on the project, and we could use as many dedicated players in that field as possible.
    Gh0st
    Gh0st
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by Gh0st Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Looked at Boo and it seems like a fairly simple language. Once i get Unity installed i will start to study and play with it more. Anyone know of any Boo references or tutorials besides unity's website?
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm not too versed with programmer's references and guides at all, but there may be something in the O'Reilly catalogue worth taking a look at. If not, then the Unity 3D website might have some resources as well.
    PixelSprite
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Post by PixelSprite Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Wait a sec. Boo? I thought we'd decided to use C#. I can't remember the exact spot, but I posted links to a few Unity tutorials that were about C#. (Unity Cookie may use Boo, though. I haven't checked.)
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 pm

We'll probably being using both, but you're right: C# looks like the best language to use for customizing the engine to our needs.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Post by Edich Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:01 pm

I believe Goldbott made some tutorial threads way back when we actually had active programmers, that'd be a good place to start:

https://projectlegends.forumotion.net/t189-unity-3d-c-basics

https://projectlegends.forumotion.net/t73-developing-games-with-unity3d

Also, welcome officially to the team, Ghost.
    Gh0st
    Gh0st
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by Gh0st Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:39 am

Very Happy, Thank you! So excited to start working on the project. Gonna play with unity for the next few weeks and get familiar with it. Still trying to get up to speed on whats done and what needs to get done but am very excited!
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:41 am

Be free to feel excited. I've been very excited about making this for a long time, and the more active participants we have, the more we can all get done. I hope you enjoy this just as much as me and the rest of the team do!
    TronBonne
    TronBonne
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Female Posts : 8

Post by TronBonne Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:54 am

Hey everyone,
    Jes here or Tron (either one works for me, heh.)

I'd actually love to apply to help out- I'd like to apply as something in the visuals department or even a bit in design.

Here are some examples of my art: Dat art thread

I'm better at character art than backgrounds, so :>

also- I'm thinking of auditioning for voice work too! I hope to work with you guys Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 6:12 pm