Project Legends

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
rekka_zan
Edich
General Specific
Chaotic Chao
jadzxa
Adrian2040
MaestroMaharg
Maddey_Linqs
12 posters

Barret's game

Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs
    Official Conceptual Developer

Barret's game Empty Barret's game

Post by Maddey_Linqs Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Coming from the Gfaqs board, not many people don't really agree or want to play as him, well this game really isn't meant and titled for him. So I propose we use Barret as a tutorial mission character.

As we all know, tutorial missions aren't really that lengthy so Barret would most likely be getting like just a few screen/game time to get players to know him, but since this is a fan game and also the final (or so I've heard) game in the series, we could go prolong it a bit by introducing contents(skills, movements, default weapons, vehicles etc.) not familiar to fans of the series. Of course his screen time heavily depends on what the devs plan to add to the game that wasn't seen/heard of from the 1st 2 series.

Though I have never heard what Barret's role is in the game, could I propose him to be the Junk shop dealer? Judging from appearance, Barret seems suitable for the role imo.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Barret's game Empty Re: Barret's game

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:42 pm

I somewhat agree with you, and somewhat disagree. Personally, I dont think that Barrett should be in the game at all. I beleive we should entirely ditch the prologue and get right into the game itself.

However, you are right, we need some tutorial missions though. What about having them take place in the residential area of Elysium, in which some Reaverbots make their way up to it from the defense area?
    Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs

Post by Maddey_Linqs Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 pm

No love for Barret in the game then.

Or the tutorial could be the rocket crashing somewhere near Elysium's residential area.
    MaestroMaharg
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Post by MaestroMaharg Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:57 pm

@Maddey_linqs

I wouldn't say there's no love just yet. That's is after all, only my opinion, never mind everybody else's opinions.

However, I beleive I can speak for everybody when I say that there is more love for Megaman than there is for Barrett...
    Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs

Post by Maddey_Linqs Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Well, time to cultivate a proposal on the tutorial mission then.

Although I should get a look at what contents people want in the game. As far as I could remember, Sprinting is one, Running on walls is another, and there's the bike scene... Time to make another topic!
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 pm

I basically have the idea of making Barret playable at the start. I basically want to remake what was already done for Prototype and expand it from there. Trigger would still be playable through basically the whole game once the Prototype Mission is over.

However, I know a lot of you hate Barret. Therefore, I'm planning to make the Prototype part entirely optional.
    jadzxa
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Optional prototype part sounds good to get a feel with things I guess. But yeah keeping the spotlight on Mega Man as the main playable as it should be is key I think. The tuts sound like a good idea, but yeah perhaps you shouldn't use Barrett for them.

Although I should get a look at what contents people want in the game. As far as I could remember, Sprinting is one, Running on walls is another, and there's the bike scene... Time to make another topic!

Sounds like a plan.
    Chaotic Chao
    Chaotic Chao
    Visitor
    Visitor

Male Posts : 13

Post by Chaotic Chao Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Yeah, just make sure that Megaman is the main playable character. It is MEGAMAN Legends, after all. =p

If there's going to be sprinting, does that mean that the jet skates will be even faster? Yay.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm pretty sure Manfred Von Karma also started to headbutt the desk behind him.

And about the Jet Skates, I'm thinking off expanding so not only it will allow you to go faster, driving style, but also allow you to jump while using them and grind. But it's just one of many ideas.

Grinding the Island could be fun.
    Chaotic Chao
    Chaotic Chao
    Visitor
    Visitor

Male Posts : 13

Post by Chaotic Chao Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:11 pm

Ah, grinding. I'm so used to grinding after playing Sonic Adventure 2 for literally over 200-300 hours. It could be fun.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 pm

We should do the Prototype first—not only to satisfy the fans, but to also gain experience developing a Legends fan-game with a whole new team. Barrett would playable for the Prototype but, when the main game comes around, we could relegate him to a story-only role, which still allows players to deal with him in side-quests and story-related missions, et al.

Barrett, remember, is a good test-bed for various game mechanics that could and, IMO, should be used for a new Legends game. To get there, though, we'll need to take the very necessary steps.
    Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs

Post by Maddey_Linqs Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:26 pm

Adrian2040N wrote:I'm pretty sure Manfred Von Karma also started to headbutt the desk behind him.

And about the Jet Skates, I'm thinking off expanding so not only it will allow you to go faster, driving style, but also allow you to jump while using them and grind. But it's just one of many ideas.

Grinding the Island could be fun.

Jet set radio on Megaman Legends?!
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I have a million ideas regarding dem Jet Skates—let's leave those specifics for later. I'm looking at the general picture here, you see.
    Maddey_Linqs
    Maddey_Linqs

Post by Maddey_Linqs Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:27 pm

I have 2;

1 is where the skates are of the same speed as when Megaman sprints but delays acceleration by a second or fewer,
    the other is Sprinting has a stamina like bar and is available at the start of the game.

or we could go crazy and have him do parkour.
    Edich
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:54 am

General Specific wrote:Barrett, remember, is a good test-bed for various game mechanics that could and, IMO, should be used for a new Legends game. To get there, though, we'll need to take the very necessary steps.

Expanding on this, we should also note that Barrett's 3D model has been released already and I believe taken by other people. It may not be something we'd feel right doing, but we essentially have his model as reference already. If we are planning to match the graphics of what-could-have-been and test gameplay, movement, and such, Barrett's model would be a good place to start.
    rekka_zan
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 am

While I'm not really a fan of Barret, I support the appearance of him in the game. I see Barret in the same way as I see Axl in MMX. Additional unimportant character that has a few role in the storyline, and players can choose whether they want to play him or not.

I was expecting MML3 to have the multiple point of view kind of storytelling (like Suikoden III). Sometimes you play as Megaman, sometimes you play as Barret. And when the story reach the point where Megaman and Barret finally meet and band together, the player can choose who he's gonna play. This, however, would require additional work for cutscenes and dialogues, because we'll need two dialogue options for each main character.

Making him playable in tutorial mission only is also an option. But I feel it would be a bit waste of resource, because Barret has some "signature moves" that Megaman doesn't have. For example, the jet bike, or the flaming kick, and the melee combo attacks. Those things can open up lots of gameplay variation possibilities.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:26 am

My idea was to find a way for Trigger to use those signature moves. Diggers almost always have robotics parts installed. So MegaMan could just get some sort of leg attachment for the fire kick, another one for the sprinting, etc.

And what's stopping MegaMan from using the jet bike?
    WhiteBonne
    WhiteBonne
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Post by WhiteBonne Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 am

A good way to make this more of a fan game is to snub Barret. The team had said he'd be playable during the main game, he had a mysterious past, and was clearly some how linked to the planned disappearance of Barrel. He was going to be important to the plot even though some hated it.

Just defending the "MegaMan Legends 3" part of the project, because if you want to make a game that feels like the closest thing to MML3, you have to accept every detail we know.

Just saying.
    Adrian2040
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:16 am

WhiteBonne wrote:A good way to make this more of a fan game is to snub Barret. The team had said he'd be playable during the main game, he had a mysterious past, and was clearly some how linked to the planned disappearance of Barrel. He was going to be important to the plot even though some hated it.

Just defending the "MegaMan Legends 3" part of the project, because if you want to make a game that feels like the closest thing to MML3, you have to accept every detail we know.

Just saying.

We probably need to make a deeper research of the posts made by the original dev team. Thanks for the input. We'll keep this in mind.
    rekka_zan
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:20 am

Adrian2040N wrote:My idea was to find a way for Trigger to use those signature moves. Diggers almost always have robotics parts installed. So MegaMan could just get some sort of leg attachment for the fire kick, another one for the sprinting, etc.

And what's stopping MegaMan from using the jet bike?
    If in the end Megaman would be able to use all of Barret's moves, then Barret's appearance would be rather pointless. Of course, story-wise it's possible to make all those techniques available to Megaman (and Megaman X has lots of bikes), but if those two characters have distinctively different abilities it would add lots of interesting variations.

For example, there might be a scene where the group must split up. Megaman should go to an underwater ruin while Barret go to the sky with his jet bike for some rescue mission, meanwhile Tron is saving the city from reaverbots attack together with Roll.

I don't know much about the plot planned for the original MML3, but if it's true that Barret plays an important role, we really should give him the spot.

edit : I actually wondered if Barret might become Megaman's enemy at a point. You know. Like Zero. Probably he's linked to the Elder System or something Laughing
    megaman093
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by megaman093 Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:21 am

MaestroMaharg wrote:I somewhat agree with you, and somewhat disagree. Personally, I dont think that Barrett should be in the game at all. I beleive we should entirely ditch the prologue and get right into the game itself.

However, you are right, we need some tutorial missions though. What about having them take place in the residential area of Elysium, in which some Reaverbots make their way up to it from the defense area?

I agree. I liek the idea of megaman maybe defending an injured Sera while they wait for the rocket or making his way to an area where he can open a landing area for the rocket. Similarly, navigating his way to a pick up site after the crash would be good too. So far I cant think of any other good places to do a tutorial.
    KayneArgand

Post by KayneArgand Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Including Barrett as a playable character would open up a world of possibilities. Ruins could implement obstacles only Megaman can go through and likewise for Barrett.

Think about it. Mega's entire body has been replaced with robotics so he can become a Digger. He's more customizable than a Mr. Potato Head, so let's run with that. Mega can stick to Roll's developments as his weapons. The downside to this is that even though Mega has limitless potential as a fighter, many of his most powerful weapons require him to stand still as he attacks, making him a sitting duck.

As we've seen, Barrett is adept at martial arts. What if there was a boss that could only be beat by melee attacks? We could make Barrett fit as a Zero-esque character, focusing mainly on hard-hitting melee attacks, but also able to rely on his cannon when necessary.

Being able to choose between Mega and Barrett before Digging could be an interesting feature in the game. MML1 and 2 already had Ruins you had to go through twice in order to fully explore them. Giving the choice of which Digger will go down will increase the replay value of the large dungeons I'm sure we'll be working on.

I agree, Barrett would be the primary tutorial character, but there should also be a secondary tutorial for Mega, explaining how he favors special weapons over melee combat.

Thoughts?
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 pm

We'd have to design for two different play-styles—and, honestly, most fans want to play as Volnutt and not Barrett, even if they like the new guy. It's not the most practical option, and I don't know that it would be really well-received, especially considering how long it could prolong development.
    KayneArgand

Post by KayneArgand Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 pm

If we allocate our resources properly - that is, have two groups splitting up the work between Barrett and Mega, we can get the work done in an efficient amount of time. Also, like Mega Man X4 onwards, you don't have to use the secondary characters at all. If one so chooses, they can play through the entire game as Barrett or as Mega.

But I'm only a writer and a voice actor, so I'm only suggesting.
    General Specific
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 pm

It would be a hell of a challenge for the ruin designers to create complex, inventive ruin layouts and quirks that would work well for both play-styles, and I've got plenty of other things to think about in the game design as well. —I'll wait and see just how many designers we get in the near future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 am